It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 10:52 PM   #1
(female)

Kaye2003 HB User
Colon, spotting, vaginal pain

ALSO POSTED ON WOMENS HEALTH

Hey,
I'm not new to the board. I've been here often with health problems of my own, my daughter and my husband. I need some help again concering my 19 year old daughter. In the past:
l. Constipation. Had this since she was 12 years old. Finally we have her own meds that help her go almost everyday. Some days a better bm than others.
2. She started having spotting between her periods after her pap 6 months ago. Finally changed bcp and it stopped. PAP came back normal. But doctor did say she has an ovary that is smaller than the other one.

NOW:
In the last two months she has started spotting again between her periods. She has also started having sharp pains in her vagina area and pains on her lower right side sometimes when she has a bm. She has also put on a little weight in the last few months due to eating late. (Teenager)....
Today I took her to a new OB/GYN. She did a pap, said every thing looks fine, but:
She changed her pills again and wants her to take the actual pill (not sugar pill) every day for two months so she will not have a period.
She ordered a pelvic ultrasound on the 21st, and
She suggested that I might want to take her back to our gastro doc and ask him about putting her on Zelnorm and doing a colonoscopy.

Naturally all the things scared me to death. Cancer is the first thing that comes to mind. I know I shouldn't worry but my husband is on post op chemo now for rectal cancer. (Surgery removed all the cancer, thank GOD)

The ob/gyn said that the reason she wants these test is because sometimes women with bowel problems can have problems with their uterus and ovaries because all these are located in the same place and that if one get cramps (like cramps due to IBS), then the other can get irritated as well. Almost like not enough room for them all together if one is irritated.

Have any of you ever heard of anything like this? Please respond, I am one very worried mother.
Thank you,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #2
(female)

Justmarried0620 HB User
Re: Colon, spotting, vaginal pain

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I have noticed recently that I have had spotting while straining to have a bm. I had a baby 3 months ago and have not had my period yet, due to breastfeeding. I have not had any spotting at all other than when I'm a little constipated and am trying to defecate.

I just found it interesting what you posted about your doctor saying they can be related, because they're in the same general area. That would actually make sense.

Does your daughter have the spotting in correlation with constipation and passing a bm?

Old 06-24-2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Hi, I am 25 and I have vaginal pain and I also have ibs, My paps come back normal but now that I read this It made me think. I have pain on my right side very low where my leg meets. I am going in for a test for endometriosis. My doc thinks that is what it is. Very interesting. It makes sense that they are all in the same area.
Carly

Old 06-30-2004, 06:50 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Hmm...Not sure if my story can relate to yours but yes, I have had vaginal pain that is unexplained--till they found abnormal spots on the cervix as well as cysts on the vagina and cervix so while that explained that--the one time I did get very bad pain on my left side (Like, how bad is your daughters pain?) I was balled up! Anyway, it was diagnosed at the time as a pelvic infection but my ob-gyn now, who is a diff dr. from the crackerjack ones I used then (that was about 3 years ago) said it was most likely abnormal changes down there--just some buildup, if you will, of say tissue (kind of like in endometriosis). I am 23, have yet to be diagnosed w/ endo, just first stages of dysplasia but no cancer!! (Thank God!) So ask your daughter how bad the pain hurts--it could just be a small infection and antibiotics might make it go away--they tried to treat mine w/ Doxycycline that was Ok as far as causing yeast infections.. it was one of the only one's ive ever had that didn't give me a yeast infect. though they unfortuatly gave me a child's dosage so I didn't get rid of the infection for sure and it stayed w/ me for many months...lesson learned there--I will never go back to a charity hospitol!

Closed Thread