It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 01:19 AM   #1

jay20_music HB User
Unhappy Help this is ruining my life!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am 21 year old male from the UK. Last year I came down with an unknown illness where I was being sick after everything I ate. This went on for about 7 months. After many trips to the doctors I had blood test, bladder scan and camera down the throat all these showed nothing out of the ordinary. So like doctors do it's not life threatening so they don't want to know. The after effects of this are leaving me with anxiety and depression. Anxiety because now when I feel sick I have massive panic attacks where I think I’m going to pass out and die and depression because I used to be a sociable, active lad with ambition. Now I never go out or do things I used to love and enjoy doing because I always feel ill.
I was 10.5 stone I am now 9 stone and no matter what I do I can’t put weight on because I always feel sick. The sickness has stopped but it’s over a year later and now after every meal I just feel sick, queasy, stomach pains, dizziness, constantly on the toilet plus more. Surely I shouldn't have to live like this there has got to be something wrong. All my friends are off on holidays and trips out and I just make up excuses why I can't go but I would love to be able to go but I am too scared incase I feel sick or have a panic attack while away from home. It’s controlling my life I feel so low and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I want to start living my life again and doing things I love without worrying.

Any advice or suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks

J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
(male)

bogmallo HB User
Re: Help this is ruining my life!

Seems like you are having a lot of the panic attacks you speak about. Are you taking anything for that? With the pa's under control things might improve

Old 06-16-2004, 10:23 PM   #3

GB_out2000 HB User

Hi Jay20 Music, Panic attacks and vomiting sounds a lot like a gallbladder problem to me. I don't know how many pounds in 10 stones, but I'm guessing that you had extra weight and your diet included a lot of fat and carbohydrates. The answer is always diet and exercise. Elimate bad fats and eat plenty of veggies. If it proves to be your gallbladder, don't have it surgically removed- trust me. It's better to keep it unless you need to have it out because of pancreatitis.

Old 06-17-2004, 06:08 AM   #4

ltrob HB User

well i can honestly say reading your post sounded like me a few years back. today i am 100% better than i was, not cured but now i feel i can do whatever and whenever i want. i believe your panic attacks are being caused because you know whats going to happen when you eat. YOUR MAKING YOURSELF NUTS, RELAX!! have you tried modifying your diet to see if its a particular food or a particular type of food that triggers attacks? what do you do for a living? i am in advertising and that is a rather hight stress job, triggered alot of attacks for me. i also would recommend exercise for you. run, bike, calistenics whatever you can do. you dont have to go spend alot of money and go to a gym to get fit. i am not a dr. i cant say that these suggestions are going to work for you, but i can tell you they have tremendously helped me. modify your life and you can manage the disease. hoped this helped.

Old 06-23-2004, 04:23 PM   #5

dral HB User

You sound exactly like me. I was sick for several months, after every time I ate. I started to panic and have a lot of anxiety over it. It would be all that I think about. I am a dr. myself and went through every test imaginable. It sounds very much like you are suffering from severe anxiety. Look up some of the symptoms and you will see the correlation. My best advice to you is to get treatment for your anxiety first and then to sort out your GI symptoms. I am still in the middle of all of this, but i definitely see a big difference in the reduction of my GI symptoms and I have only just begun anxiety treatment. The mind is a poweful organ and if you can get your anxiety under control you just may find that your symptoms will dissipate. As I am learning, things won't miraculously get better overnight, but give yourself some time and get treatment for your anxiety. Imagine this scenario: If you had to put your hand on a table 3 times a day fro months and you knew someone would beat it with a hammer each time, how would you feel? It would take a while for you to get comfortable putting that hand there even after the beating stopped. Hang in there and get help

Old 06-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #6
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

I was going to suggest that too. Anxiety treatment is what he needs first. I got so much relieve taking remeron (mirtazapine).

Old 06-26-2004, 12:53 PM   #7

clairey21 HB User

I have functional dyspepsia (or non ulcer dyspepsia) read up on it, you may have that! its a stomach disorder and docs sometimes diagnose it when all the other tests they perform come out clear! i have had it for years!! i get stomach ache and nausea at times! but someone else i know who has it is sick after everything she eats, that can be because the stomachs motility (the way you digest your food) has slowed down so the natural rythm in which food is digested is a bit out of tune!
The anxiety you are getting is normal i got a load of anxiety from this condition, you are bound to if you feel unwell alot its natural, i have a few things which you should do...

Exercise!! alot its great for feeling good and lifting the mood

Drink herbal teas, they take some getting used to but are good for stomach aches! try chamomile, peppermint and ginger.

Also take digestive enzymes with your food, and eat little and often. You should try shakes if you cant eat! drink plenty they will give you energy and help put weight back on.

For anxiety take something called 5htp, read up on it write ''5htp anxiety'' in a search engine you will get good results!!
Take it with a vitamin B complex. And a multivitamin as your diet isnt too good.

Also practice relaxation exercises!! buy some CDs and listen to them (on ebay they are cheap)

I think you may notice a good change!!

Good luck

Closed Thread