It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

Sprat529 HB User
Question laxatives

ok, I have IBS and I havent went in about a week and 1/2 - 2 weeks. I don't have any medical insurance, my stomach is killing me. I am frustrated, and I know I NEED to go to the bathroom. I tried Dulcolax laxatives, and I thought I was going to die (literally). Is there a milder laxative someone may have tried, and had good results with?

Thanks in advance
Sprat

Old 06-11-2004, 08:00 AM   #2

live4today HB User
Re: laxatives

I can empathize with what you're going through! I'm going through the same thing right now! I took a Correctol last night (was all that I had in the house) and know that when it kicks in, I'm going to end up with horrible cramps.

I've tried Prodiem in the past... It seems to work well if you don't mind the bloating and gas... I've also tried the Prodiem Plus and don't recommend it! It contains Senna, which (in my case) caused bad cramps...

Just wondering if you (or anyone else) has tried Citrucel? I live in Canada and it isn't available here. I have heard that it doesn't cause bloating like some of the other fibre laxatives...

Good luck!

Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Have you tried prune juice?

Old 06-15-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
(female)

Sprat529 HB User

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it. I am suffering so badly right now. My stomach is killing me! I am almost to the point where I don't want to eat anything, I actually feel like I am packing it in there. But I am afraid of the laxatives because they caused me so much pain.

Thanks for your response, I am willing to try anything.
Sprat

Old 06-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Also you might want to try milk of magnesia they advertise on tv its possed to be gentle and not cause cramping.If you use prune juice make sure your near a potty.It usually works pretty fast.My son when he was born had problems with constipation,we tried everything the doc recommended to no avail.Someone recommended prune juice ,worked like a charm.Take care.

Old 06-15-2004, 03:10 PM   #6

Happy Again HB User

Magnesium Citrate will get you out of a tough spot. I like to call it "draino" for short. You buy it over the counter at a pharmacy. It's a 12 oz. bottle. You have to drink the whole thing. Drink it cold or with ice and gulp it down because you will gag if you think about it for too long. It takes a couple hours to work, but you won't stop going until everything is out. It's meant for bowel prep before procedures. I never found it to be painful, just incovenient. You can't leave home until you are done. It takes several hours once you start. As bad as things ever got for me, this has never failed to work.

This is not a cure, just a way to get a clean slate. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #7
(female)

Sprat529 HB User
Wink Re: laxatives

Thanks everyone, I will try them all if thats what it comes too!

I apperciate all the suggestions.....

Sprat

Old 06-15-2004, 10:22 PM   #8
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi Sprat,

If prune juice or the other more pleasant alternatives don't work here is one for the record.

You could try taking Bile Salts pills (OTC - usually used by people who have their gall bladder out) - although if you take too much it could cause you quite a bit of pain - It makes you want to go right away. Its a natural way to get rid of stuff.

I hope something works for you.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 06-15-2004, 11:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Or if your looking for something thats going to work right away.You can get a bottle of fleet phosphorus soda 3 oz and a bottle of dulcolax tablets take 4 along with the fleets soda .But i warn you it isnt pleasant tasting but it will sure clean you out.I had to take it to have my bowels cleaned out for an colonoscopy.It worked great for me.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Or do what I did. I went for a series of 6 colonics at a natural healing clinic. Now no more constipation. Normal again. Sometimes you need a good professional cleaning out.

Old 06-20-2004, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

I tried Dulcolax....at first it worked fine. Except now it doesn't even work for me. I tried that Magnesium Citrate (comes in a soda like drink...or Milk of Magnesia) and I had an allergic reaction to it. Good luck.
Upshutter

Old 06-21-2004, 12:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Upshutter 17 next time try prune juice it will usually work .I have ibs and sometimes i get constipated.If worse comes to worse you can always try a warm water enema.I use them sometimes when i want quick relief.Take care.

Old 06-23-2004, 08:52 AM   #13
(female)

Sprat529 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Again
Magnesium Citrate will get you out of a tough spot. I like to call it "draino" for short. You buy it over the counter at a pharmacy. It's a 12 oz. bottle. You have to drink the whole thing. Drink it cold or with ice and gulp it down because you will gag if you think about it for too long. It takes a couple hours to work, but you won't stop going until everything is out. It's meant for bowel prep before procedures. I never found it to be painful, just incovenient. You can't leave home until you are done. It takes several hours once you start. As bad as things ever got for me, this has never failed to work.

This is not a cure, just a way to get a clean slate. Good luck.
Happy,
Thanks so much for suggesting the Magnesium Citrate, it worked really well without any cramping. Now I am wondering, would it be safe to take a stool softener daily? I am wondering because I hear alot about people messing up their bodies by taking laxatives all the time (eating disorders mostly). Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Sprat

Old 06-29-2004, 12:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

When I get as bad as your saying, usually milk of mag doesn't do the trick but you might try taking more of the regular dosage of Phlip's...for some reason that brand seems to do better--but for me dulculax is the only thing that I can really rely on, even tho the pain is bad and the laxative is strong. Have you also tried using Citrucel as a preventive measure? Ppl say it's the same thing as Metamucil only more expensive, yetI have found that if I haven't gone in say 2 or even 3 or 4 days, if I take Citrucel I REALLY go but the pain isn't bad---it is just that once it kicks in and works you MUST Be near a toilet!!

Old 06-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

My dr advised that is safe to take the over the counter stool softner ducolsate sodium daily for as long as needed.

Closed Thread