It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #1

ltrob HB User
please help me with my one last symptom!

hi all,
i have had ibs for about three years now (well diagnosed anyway) actually more like 10 years. i have had reasonable success with controlling it, i know what i can and cant do that triggers attacks. one thing i have not been able to get back to normal is the ribbon shaped stools. i would kill to have normal shaped stools again! they were ok for awhile when the dr. prescribed me phenobarbitol/bella donna pills, but i didnt feel taking that combo of drugs for a long time was a good thing for me. anyone have any other suggestions????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 11:02 PM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: please help me with my one last symptom!

Hi Itrob,

I'm not sure from what you've said, what it is you are trying to control. You say you've had reasonably good control, and that you've only had ribbon shaped stools which you would like to get rid of - I'm not sure anyone here would know how to do that - Nevertheless, if nothing else is bothering you - why be concerned about ribbon stools?

As for the phenobarbitol/bella donna pills, I would agree that taking them for long periods of time may not be good for you. I am guessing that you take them to handle pain? I don't take anything for pain so I can't help you there.

Cheers, Raju.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: please help me with my one last symptom!

Have you tried a bulking agent fiber like psyllium?? It's a water soluble fiber and is safe to take daily.

For cramping pain you may want to try a magnesium supplement --3 times daily to increase the absorption. It works for me!!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 06-16-2004, 06:59 AM   #4

ltrob HB User

the bella donna/phenobarbitol was used to try to control the contracted colon hence my ribbon shaped stools. i have not tried and psyllium (sorry about spelling) i think i will give it a shot. i stay away from fatty foods (prime rib-my favorite but it absolutely kills me!) and an excess amount of dairy. my doctor always told me eat whatever i want, you will figure out quickly what to avoid and that has held true. i find attacks come quite frequently when i am under stress. exercise has probably been the biggest difference for me. i run, bike and beat the living hell out of a punching bad to destress myself. i dont know if any of those exercises will work for anyone else, but if you try it and it works and gives anyone out there some relief, well as they say my job here is done. thanks everyone!

Old 06-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #5

nsmith4366 HB User

Do not avoid ALL fatty foods...just eat limited amounts of HEALTHIER (nontrans/nonhydrogenated-unprocessed) fats daily...I add them to very lean foods so I can control the amount. Fat adds bulk and weight to stool...but too much will give you D. Find your balance and avoid fats that act as a mild laxative/the only one I know is olive oil.

Closed Thread