It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 07:54 PM   #1

DBLKLIK HB User
Exclamation So scared, need help again please....

I was in here in April asking about Diverticulitis, b/c of moderate pain, and discomfort in my lower left abdominal groin area. After a colonoscopy, my Gastro Dr. said he didn't see that it was diverticulitis, so he diagnosed me with IBS. I have been trying both Librax, and Bentyl, to try and alleviate my symptoms, that I am still experiencing on a daily basis. I also had a sonogram, and CT-scan which came out ok, at the time. I went to my Gastro this afternoon, as I am still in the same condition I was in April. He 's having me do another CT-scan to be sure nothing else is going on, blood work, etc.
He claims that stress is the main cause of IBS, but its this condition that is causing me the stress. My symptoms are ..the feeling that I have to defecate all the time, even though I did already..that feeling is always present. It feels like my colon in that area is always in a tight and uncomfortable spasm, from the groin area right down to the rectum..and it hurts. Sometimes,it hurts when I move, or lift my left leg a certain way. No, I don't feel any lumps. It is always sore, and I'm hardly getting any relief. I am on a diet with a dietitian, and other than losing weight, it is not helping. I do feel relief when my bowels are empty,(temporarily) It is calmer in the morning, and calmer before I retire...does this sound like IBS? Can IBS give you this much pain on a daily basis for a long time. Does it ever go into a remission by itself?
What else could this possibly be???
Sorry this is so long, as I am soooo scared, that I am going to need re-section surgery to remove part of my intestines...which I hope I won't have to. Please tell me this may not be necessary.. God, I just had GB surgery 2 yrs ago. Any help, support, or input would be so needed, and appreciated.
Sandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: So scared, need help again please....

Hi Sandy,

The pain you are going through is not unusual with IBS.(look at the others on this board) That is why it is known as irritable bowel. There are so many of us, who, like you would like to find the right diet to solve our troubles. But what is ok one day, may not be ok the next (dietwise). I'm afraid that gall bladder surgery and bowel re-sectioning are methods used by many who suffer from this condition. It unfortunately, does not mean the end of the condition - as you have already seen - well you definitely know it was worth the operation.

First off - if they try to solve the problems by getting rid of your bowels, you will probably end up living on a tube down your throat for feeding. (for the rest of your life).

Second - the medical community does not know what causes irritable bowel syndrome - or if they do, they don't have a cure for it. But if they do know what causes the problem - why can't they solve it without removing body parts?!!!! If you do get your bowels re-sectioned - I hope that by some fluke, they are removing the cause of your IBS.

Imagine if someone had cancer of the brain and they remove his/her kidneys or his/her gall bladder, or his/her liver or his/her heart or worse they say "eeney meeney mineey mo, catch a tiger by the toe...."

(A little humor here...)

What if the trigger happy doctors remove things one by one until there is no chance that removing anything more could solve anything... I'm sure people don't mind being cadavres for the medical community -especially if they suffer from IBS - what worse fate could you possibly face? So sorry, I'm just a non-doctor, who would be happy to see a knife and see what people are hiding inside there, he he he he. I wonder if the patient would feel any better if i take this out too? Hmmm - Well the patient is getting worse, so I just don't have the luxury of an option

They have associations against this kind of thing - it is called the animal rights group. We're hunimals. We've got the might and the right - stomp, stomp, stomp.

Umm, humm. Coming back to a more serious discussion I quote unknown sources - "what else could this be? It is a clear cut case of pain originating in the vicinity of the... What do they call this again...? Oh, it doesn't matter, its coming out - This better solve the problem, or, or the patient is not coming back here for another de-sectization"

(end of humor)

Surgery, is always the patient's choice, not the doctors' choice. If they say it caused by stress, do you think those people are fit to take out your intestines?

Well, I guess I haven't helped much, but I am trying to write a book about how I deal with IBS (since I've gotten rid of 98% of it using my own techniques). I take it you've seen my website. It's a temporary fix, until I can expose what is really happening. And then again, the book may only work for those who experience little/any relief no matter how temporary by using the mind-based techniques on my site.

You might ask why I come back here - well on the off-chance that I am wrong and there is a 100% cure without half the trouble I have to go through - and this cure will also cure me of allergies. Or I come back to see if anyone has by chance come upon my conclusions and has a similar solution that I can talk about with them in a more sophisticated manner. Stress is too generalized a term for what affects you - In my vocabulary from my book, IBS sufferers suffer from the sci-hockey nerve, which you need to change - not that difficult, but it takes a lot of practice - and I mean a lot.

Sorry, I'm rambling on... I have a habit of doing that. Don't know what else to do - I'm looking for help too, and wish that it could be as easy as talking to someone who knows what i do.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 06-22-2004, 01:58 PM   #3

DBLKLIK HB User

Well, I guess I haven't helped much, but I am trying to write a book about how I deal with IBS (since I've gotten rid of 98% of it using my own techniques). I take it you've seen my website. It's a temporary fix, until I can expose what is really happening. And then again, the book may only work for those who experience little/any relief no matter how temporary by using the mind-based techniques on my site.
-------------------------------------------------------
Thankyou for your response, although I must say it was quite confusing. At first you scared the daylights outta me, but then I "think" you were joking in between the lines.
You had a lot to say, but no you haven't helped much, as your post was not very supportive to some one who is already scared to death of the unknown. If you have a technique that worked 98% for you, I would think sharing what it is would be more helpful to the board, whether it's a temporary fix or not. NO, I have not visited your site, as I don't know the link. I am new in here, and don't know how to find profiles, or website. If you have any informative input, support, or remedies that could help, posting it would be much more appreciated, and valuable.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #4
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi DBKLIK,

Ouch!

Please don't take offense... I have my reasons for what I wrote.

I wished to avoid a potentially sticky issue by lacing my beliefs with humour (I've been burnt for having a bias when it comes to surgeries in my past). I guess the humor helped me more than it helped you understand my opinion: For IBS sufferers, I support your notion that surgery may not be necessary. It is my belief that there are those who suffer IBS due to a form of stress that is not written of in any ordinary literature - and stress control techniques often (if not always) are talked of being in the realm of our physically traceable reality eg: workplace stress - the cure being to take days off of work.

As for supporting your fear of the unknown - Waking up causes me the fear that My Stephen King novel will reach out and strangle me. I can still drive a car though, last time I checked.

Well, I don't know how you figured out about profiles, but you can click on the user's name at the side of the posts and it shows user's profiles -As well, many of their past posts can be accessed by clicking the link "Find all posts by this user". Although I do not know how one would access the personal website. In my case my site is chalk full of remedies for IBS, which might help some sufferers (some of which also show up in my posts here).

As for posting my remedies here: Well, there's too much to post here. As far as the book is concerned - I am not going to post that here - it is a long winded explanation of the functioning of the brain with drawings that are critical to the text.

Here is a method from the text of my site though:

Imagine you are sipping water (or a water, milk mix) through the middle of the V of your chest to your mouth from the areas that are in pain in your digestive system. You will find that by alternatively narrowing and widening the water stream, you will be able to reduce a considerable amount of pain. Do not use this technique too much It may cause you to hyperventillate - Take some breaks in between and take deep and calm breathing. Make sure to concentrate on keeping the water flowing through the V of your chest while using the technique - also try to relax. Problem: Visual techniques are quite temporary and do not represent a means to overcome the long-term real problem - you might experience nervousness, shakiness, restlesness and dizziness from using this particular technique.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Sandy,
Your symptoms donot sound like IBS.
From your description I think the pain in that area is caused by cramping or spasms in the colon/ 8" rectum.

This type pain is an indication that your system lacks one or both minerals-- calcium and magnesium.
I have had this type problem and used a homeopathic remedy -- Magnesia Phos taken like it says on the container for acute pain. But,have now decided that I needed a mineral supplement and it solved my problems with spasm type pain everywhere.

A mineral supplement taken 3 or 4 times daily I think will help. The best I have found is the chelated minerals that are bonded to a protein /amino acid---- glycine and lysine. Taking it in divided doses increases the absorption from less than 10% to as much as 40%.
This chelated mineral is patented by Albion Labs and sells it to many vitamin producers. I have used Doctor's Best, Solgar, Kal and Carlson but there are many others available.

It also sound like you need to take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil. It's safe to take daily and will empty your bowels regularly. I use the Equate brand from Wal Mart twice daily with lots of water. It will cause gas when you first start but will go away with continued use. So start off slow with just a half a dose and increase it as your gastro tract becomes use to it.
Everybody needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their GI system to function properly-- but most people don't get enough daily or the right type.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-23-2004 at 11:51 PM.

Old 06-24-2004, 06:51 AM   #6
(female)

aaronon HB User
Lightbulb Re: So scared, need help again please....

Dear DBLKLIK,

It does sound like you have IBS. I have all the same symptoms, and others, and I was diagnosed with it last year. Tho, I've had it most of my life. Zelnorm is a prescription medication that your doctor can give you that may help. Do not be afraid. IBS is not a fun illness, but it can be managed, by finding what works for you. It's a lot of trial and error.

Good luck

Old 06-24-2004, 04:31 PM   #7

DBLKLIK HB User

Thank you Harry for you kind response. I will try those vitamins you suggested. I did try the benefiber, and Metamucil....I have a problem with fiber. It rips through me, so I try to get my fiber through foods (the ones that agree with me anyway) I'll keep the board posted.
Sandy

Old 06-24-2004, 04:36 PM   #8

DBLKLIK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronon
Dear DBLKLIK,

It does sound like you have IBS. I have all the same symptoms, and others, and I was diagnosed with it last year. Tho, I've had it most of my life. Zelnorm is a prescription medication that your doctor can give you that may help. Do not be afraid. IBS is not a fun illness, but it can be managed, by finding what works for you. It's a lot of trial and error.

Good luck
________________________________________ _________________________
Does the Zelnorm take care of the pain also? Is that good for constipation, or diarrhea? I have a tendancy to be constipated. If I may ask, what are your symptoms, and how were you diagnosed with it. Did you have a colonoscopy? Thanks for responding, I appreciate all who are trying to help me
Sandy

Closed Thread