It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2004, 01:18 PM   #1

huesofgreen HB User
Too much fiber?

I've been having a giant flare up of IBS symptoms for a week or so now. In the past it was usually only when I woke up in the morning that I had severe stomach pain, and it went away after I passed a bowel movement. Now that doesn't help and sometimes I have a bought of pain and diarrhea anytime during the day. (I did in the past exeprience gas and bloating throughout the day, just the pain seemed restricted to the morn).

I'm going to try to lay off the dairy for a week and see if that helps. But dairy hasn't significantly triggered problems in the past. I will do anything to have this bout of problems lighten up. It's really getting in the way of functioning.

They say to increase fiber, but I am a vegetarian, so I get quite a bit of fiber already. But I'm going to try taking a fiber supplement more regularly. Is it possible that I'm getting too much fiber? Or maybe the fiber in my diet isn't water soluable?

Old 06-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #2

huesofgreen HB User
Re: Too much fiber?

I actually think the problem may be salmonella, from eating almonds. The ones I have aren't from the date recalled, however they are from a brand that was recalled. And my symptoms match for salmonella. But there isn't anything that can be done for it. But if it's still severe tomorrow, then I may go into the doctors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2004, 10:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Lightbulb Re: Too much fiber?

You certainly may not be getting the right kind of fiber. You may just need more soluble fiber and as you know there are alot of fruits and veggies that produce gas/ bloating.

I wish you well---H

Old 06-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

huesofgreen,
there were almonds recalled? when? where? if you know, that is
Katalina
p.s.-i hope it ISN'T salmonella. i think having ibs might even be better than that!

Old 06-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #5

nsmith4366 HB User

I quit eating StoneyField's yogurt after they began adding the fiber INULIN to it - just did me right in - talk about GAS. Ugh. Why go change a good thing?

Closed Thread