It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2004, 01:39 PM   #1

KimKel HB User
heart palpitations and ibs

I'm new to IBS, but one of the most bothersome symptoms I have are theses skipped beats or palpititions. I'm told it is related to the autonomic nervous system response of the bowel. Anyone else have this? Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 07:04 PM   #2

CrazyCats4 HB User
Re: heart palpitations and ibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimKel
I'm new to IBS, but one of the most bothersome symptoms I have are theses skipped beats or palpititions. I'm told it is related to the autonomic nervous system response of the bowel. Anyone else have this? Kim
Wow, I've never heard that skipped beats/palpitations are symptoms of IBS. I have had IBS for about 10 years, and come to think of it, my stomach problems started shortly after I experienced skipped heartbeats one evening. I went to my family doctor, a cardiologist, had ekg and echogram done, heart checked out fine but no one could tell me the reason my heart skipped beats.

Anyone have more info on this???

CC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: heart palpitations and ibs

Hi guys,

I suffer from IBS too - I get more than just skipped heartbeats - my heart rythm goes completely out of whack. Fortunately, I am capable of undoing the effect. However, I would like to know - do any of you suffer from severe IBS - like severe cramping or severe constipation/diarrhea or other strange manifestations of IBS? (for eg: eye twitching).

The heart palpitations will be undetectable after they go away. It can be a temporary or long term thing. It is not necessarily related to heart disease - what I mean is you don't have to have heart problems in order to have palpitations or arythmia (irregular beating). It is extremely irritating though. Some people have changes in the way their heart behaves though (not palpitations) - it causes the heart to become sluggish and its long term effects can lead to heart disease - The best way to deal with this is usually exercise (plenty of it) - however, that does not always help.

On another unrelated note: everyone should however, read and find out about strokes. The heart and stroke foundation has a very interesting site that explains it - It is unrelated to heart disease and heart palpitations though. They talk about thrombosis, aneurysms, TIAs...

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread