It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2004, 06:12 AM   #1

liverpool HB User
Talking How to Live with IBS D

I've had IBS now for about 15 years and it took me about 13 and a half to figure out a way to deal with this problem. I know how complety frustrating and even sometimes suicidal it can be when you can't live a normal life. I tried everything possible from diet changes , prescription medications , antidepressants , acidopholis , metamucil , antidiarheal meds , pretty much anything you can think of I've tried it. I even just read a post on people taking pig hookworm eggs , now thats just crazy. I have IBS D and I've come to the conclusion it's never going to go away but I've found stuff that has made life livable again and I hope it works for whomever is reading this now. I take one Caltrate 600 ( its a calcium carbonate suppliment that works by not working ..... technically your body should absorb the calcium but because its a calcium carbonate your body sends some of it to your intestines and it absords any excess liquids that are in there ... and if somebody has a better explanation please add it to the post )twice a day and a half of an Immodium twice a day and I can say that I've have never felt this good in my life. I can eat pretty much anything and 90% of the time I don't have to worry about going to the bathroom until I want to ( a very rare occurance ) I realize this doesn't help anyone with the IBS C but for the others I hope this brings as much happiness back into your life as it did me. It's been working fine for over a year and a half and I haven't had to up my intake at all. Before this my IBS was horrible and extremely painfull most of the time , anything stressfull would trigger an attack and then any food that didn't agree with me would make it ten times worse. But now I go twice a day 90% normal and everything is great , so if you haven't tried it please just go do it , what's the worst that can happen , you get some extra calcium.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: How to Live with IBS D

Hi there liverpool. So glad you found a way to control your IBS-D. Many people have posted on this board about how calcium helped them too.

I suffer IBS-D as well, and continue to take the calcium + metamucil daily. However, due to the removal of my gall bladder in '97, I now have bile salt diarrhea, and must also take Colestid to control the uncontrollable "D" I would suffer without it.

Hope your remedy keeps on working for you.

Katie G

Old 06-30-2004, 11:31 PM   #3

Courtster HB User
Re: How to Live with IBS D

I also have IBS-D. Does any old Calcium Supplement work? How much do you need to take?

I've recently tried homeopathy as an alternative medicine. My homeopath and I are still working on the problem- I have had some success in the past month, but I'm definitely not cured. I'd like to try out this calcium thing.

Old 07-01-2004, 01:49 PM   #4

Jessica CFS/IBS HB User

I'm having some luck with the product Equalactin.The active ingredient is called "calcium polycarbophil 625 mg." It's not exactly the same as the other calcium liverpool was talking about but it works on the same idea: equalizing the water balance in the bowels. It's supposed to work for both IBS diarrhea AND constipation, says so right on the box! I've been taking two tablets, three times a day, for a few weeks now, and gradually the diarrhea has lessened to the point where today, I actually had a normal bowel movement. Of course, I've probably just jinxed myself! At any rate, this could be a good solution for people who have tried everything else with no success.
Good luck.

Jessica

Old 07-02-2004, 06:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: How to Live with IBS D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtster
I also have IBS-D. Does any old Calcium Supplement work? How much do you need to take?

I've recently tried homeopathy as an alternative medicine. My homeopath and I are still working on the problem- I have had some success in the past month, but I'm definitely not cured. I'd like to try out this calcium thing.

Hi there - what I've heard from other posters and have continued to follow since is that you need to take Caltrate + D (in the purple & white bottle, NOT the pink & white one). Just calcium alone is not enough - it has to also contain other vitamins/minerals like magnesium, Vitamin D, and ? (I forgot the other ingredient). I buy the Walmart version of Caltrate + D since it's cheaper. I take 1-2 per day. More than that is not a good idea - too much calcium in your system can be bad for you and lead to other health problems.

Hope this helps.

Katie G

Old 07-03-2004, 01:31 AM   #6

Courtster HB User

Thanks for your response Katie. I'll see if I can find this calcium supplement you are talking about.

Old 07-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

I havent tried the calcium supplements yet tho my bf who is pharmacist says calcium citrate is better as its more absorbable but I was just experimenting the other day taking silica supplement for my hair and noticed that it makes me have perfect bowel (Im also in the ibs-d side).

Old 07-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

I am new here, also fairly new to IBS, which is what my nurse practioner has diagnosed me as having, during this latest flareup I have been sick for over 3 months now, I not only have horrible diarrhea daily, I have been plagued with this horrible gas pains in my chest also, which led me to these boards and I found that magnesium supplements have helped other with this kind of pain, so I have been taking 2 calcium carbonate magnesium oxide pills daily for almost a week now, yes it has helped the horrible gas in upper stomach some, I am wondering how long it takes to help with the diarrhea, and how much immodium to take and in liquid or pill form, I am so sick of being sick, there are days its a struggle to make it through without crawling into bed and just curling up wanting to cry. Ok enough whining from me, I just want to be able to get my life back somewhat. Thanks for listening and I am hoping the calcium helps.

Closed Thread