It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User
IBS With Constipation

To anyone with the constipation form of IBS...do you ever get like constipation attacks? Do you get so constipated that your stool is as hard as a rock? Well, what do you do for the attacks??? Anyone??!! I'm a little desperate. Thanks in advance.
Upshutter

Old 07-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: IBS With Constipation

Hi Upshutter,

I used to get constipated in the manner you describe all the time. I controlled it using bile salts - but that was only possible when I knew I was going to suffer from constipation ahead of time (I just suffered from constipation all the time: So knowing ahead of time was easy). However, there was nothing I could do in the event of an unforeseen attack - except of course the standard enema and finger .... u know.

There is of course the possibility that prune juice might help you. I've heard people talk a lot about that - But I don't know what success rates there are.

Hope that helps you some.

Cheers, Raju.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Thanks for the response!! It's greatly appreciated as I am so desperate and SOOOO sick of all this. Somedays it depresses me. Like today I've been going all day! I'm sore! I take an herbal supplement that helps me to go, but not all the time. It also hasn't been preventing those rock hard solid bms. It's been so hard dealing with IBS, especially not being able to go. Ugh, I'm so frustrated and tired. Maybe I will try prune juice. Thanks for the response.
Upshutter

Old 07-09-2004, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi Upshutter,

I would encourage you to try Bile salts if prune juice doesn't work. Here is what I write for other people:

This is a method I came up with (if you have the patience to read it) - since I've developed my own methods of solving my IBS troubles.

You can take a quarter of a pill of Bile salts with your meals if you suffer from hard stools type constipation. Bile is produced by the liver and dumped in the intestines by the gall bladder. It is primarily used by the body to help with the digestion of fats, but it also helps in two other ways. It controls the level of absorption of water in food through the intestine and it acts as an intestinal laxative. There are two nerves in the brain which are typically irritated in patients suffering from IBS. The two nerves are responsible for controlling the gall bladder, and causes it to either overdump bile or to put insufficient amounts into the intestine. When there is insufficient bile, the body absorbs too much water from the food and causes hard stool constipation. When there is too much bile, the body can either not absorb enough water or it sometimes causes the food to rapidly leave the body (diarrhea). (This is why the use of bile absorbants such as colestid or questran help diarrhea sufferers)

It is important if you are taking bile salts to take it with a meal, because otherwise it tends not to spread uniformly in the food - so some parts of your peristalsis (food movement) will be sluggish and some other parts smooth - possibly causing gas and bloating.

It is also important to take a quarter of a pill (split it with a pill splitter), because it is extremely effective. Only take it if you are sure to suffer from hard stool constipation, because it can cause normal stools to become watery or it can worsen diarrhea. If you need to increase your dosage you should be the judge, but be extremely cautious.

It is used by people who have had their gall bladders removed. It is usually available for low prices over-the-counter at drug stores and natural food stores. (I got mine for about $8.00 Canadian).

Well, I hope this helps you somewhat Upshutter.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 07-09-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Dulcolax stool softners help me but if you wanted quicker relief (as in I want to go only once--not 5 times with straining and just bunny pellets) you can use Citrucel powder--drink a lot of fluids w/ it, prefereably water but I find that I don't get the cramping and bloating w/ it, it just makes you go----especially if you use it daily.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:54 PM   #6

Renee' HB User

Hi,

Prune juice, and the "fiber" things don't work for me. I have green bms, and I'm so stopped up I can't stand it. I've called all over the place for bile salts at local pharmacy's but no one has any. Where can someone get it?

Old 07-17-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

I suffered with constipation for a long time. I used citrucel and metamucil for awhile, but they taste nasty after so long. Now, the thing that helps me more than anything else is a bowl of shredded mini wheats. I know it sounds weird, but I have a bowl every night and every morning I can go to the bathroom.

Old 07-18-2004, 10:56 AM   #8
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: Where to get Bile Salts

Hi Renee,

If you have green BMs, it possibly indicates that you have a lot of bile being dumped with your stools. Although it may not.

Unless you are suffering from hard stools (as in rock like BMs, not hard to go) constipation, I usually don't advise people to take bile salts.

Nevertheless, you should be able to find Bile salts at pharmacies - ask for what they give to people with their gall bladders removed. The other alternative is to find it at natural food stores. I got mine from a natural food store.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread