It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 06:34 PM   #1

whowhat HB User
could this be IBS

hi I don't want to gross to many ppl out but for about 2 years I been having a problem...I get diarrhea off and on...if I eat something it can happen...I don't want to leave the house cuz as soon as i do I start to stress then it can happen......do u think it can be it? I don't want to go on vacation cuz I am affraid it will come I keep imodium and pepto near me at all time even though sometimes they don't work...it is real embrassing I am scared to go out and do something cuz that is the first thing on my mind.....please helo I am sorry if I grossed out everyone

Old 07-08-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User
Re: could this be IBS

hi, I have had the same thing for a year now, it started when my husband got addicted to prescription drugs and has been on and off since then. I have diarrhea every single morning, either right after I wake up or during my coffee, which I know I shouldn't drink but I cannot give up everything. If I eat too much fruit, salad, all the things I love, boom, it happens. If I have to leave the house I just don't eat. I have learned to live around it but its no fun. Some days I am so sick I am in bed by five in the afternoon. Right now I am taking calcium magnesium to try and calm it down, too soon to tell if it is working though, keep posting some great advice given here and good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2004, 08:37 PM   #3

whowhat HB User

thanks for posting my family loves eating out and i can't join them now cuz I am too scared of what will happen...we r planning on going on vacation and i don't want to cuz I am afraid of going and coming down with it and I try not to think of it but it is always on my mind and the more i think about it the more likly it will happen...i can't help but stress about it I try not to but it is hard... I hate this it consumes my life...but I am not for sure if it is IBS or not and i have no insurance to get this fixed....

Old 07-08-2004, 09:02 PM   #4

Healthnut25 HB User

Hi I know how you feel. I have IBS-D. It really can alter your life. I have had it now for about 11 years and I am only 25. I use to be able to control it by not eating if I was going out, but that doesn't work anymore. I can have one anytime whether I eat or not. I avoid resturants too, and I hate it. It is so hard to explain to family, they just don't understand. They are like well resturants have bathrooms, but hey if you are anything like me... I do not want to go in a resturant where there is only 2 toliets and having people walk in and out and kids coming in and saying stuff because they are too young to understand. I use a lot of immodium and I too have just started taking Caltrate to see if maybe it will work, but it is too soon to tell, I have only been taking it since Monday. At this point I will try anything. Anyway just wanted to let you know that I know how you feel.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:11 PM   #5

whowhat HB User

I too am 25....and i know exactly how u feel....and plus I am scared of the ride home or they want to go out and do something after we eat cuz the only good restuants r about 30 mins from where I live so I am scared of being in the car....I hate this, I changed my diet but it doesn't work nothing works the more I think and stress about it the worse it gets but I can't just get in a car and not think about it...it is always on my mind....

Old 07-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

While i have IBS but am unsure of what type--pretty sure it's constipation though as that's usually my #1 complaint, at times and I don't know what triggers it I get these baaad attacks and I can't make any plans b/c it's an all day thing--first it starts out to where I can't go at all and then I am in pain and my insides are on fire and it's pure water by the time I'm done! Ugg...anyway, while that isn't what you described and I may have something else entirely (my dr told me I had IBS but I haven't had any medical tests done to confirm it) I think that using something to soften your stool regularly might help, but with the D-type maybe try keeping a food log to see what triggers it? Could be food allergies, too!

Old 07-09-2004, 01:01 PM   #7
(male)

Tranzwarp HB User

Sounds like IBS is a possibility. I had to take a close look at my diet, which has a direct affect on how I feel. I completely cut out dairy (except for lactose free cheese). Many people have trouble digesting lactose (if I remember correctly, it's a type of sugar in milk). Do you eat spicy foods? I also had to cut WAY back on these, as well as anything fried. Not sure if this helps.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

Hi, I have had IBS for so long I cant remember, stress is the biggest trigger for most people, trying to control stress is a learned habit, but if I can do it anyone can. For a while I was taking a digestion aid that I found at a health food store, it helps your body with extra emzyme, it worked wonders for me, I still take it if I know that I will be in a stressfull place.
Good luck and take care

Old 07-10-2004, 02:17 PM   #9

whowhat HB User

i do think that stress is a big part of it...sometimes i don't eat anything but as soon as i get in a car i can't help but think of it and then I stress about it and then I get it....i try to keep my mind off of it buy either talking to someone or listening to the radio but it keeps coming up in my thoughts and then it worries me...then i start getting hot and then goosebumps and stuff then everythime i pass an exit i think hmmm maybe we should stop...until finally i give in and have to stop....i think if i stop stressing over it it would help but it is hard not to think of it.....what is the thing that u use? maybe it would work wonders on me to...i also read that anti depressant pills might help....does anyone know about that?

Old 07-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Since I started taking calcium/magnesium supplements, acidopholus and metamucil I have felt much better, I go much less frequently and it has started to have some substance to it(sorry so gross), but I FEEL almost like myself again. And yes I have heard that antidepressants help, I was on paxil and it helped but had to get off it because I gained 20 pounds, now am on wellbutrin, helps with the weight but not diarrhea. Good luck I have gotten more help here on these boards than at my doctors office.

Sandra

Old 07-17-2004, 09:50 AM   #11

sopal1953 HB User

Hi, I'm late on this thread but I thought maybe I could help. I too had problems traveling, going to a restaurant, etc. I tried a couple of more natural approaches. I was reading that sometimes symptoms of IBS-D might be trace back to the use of antibiotics. Maybe sometime before the beginning of IBS antibiotics killed off the natural bacteria in your bowels. On that assumption, I checked out a couple of approaches to normalize activity down there. First I make sure to have yogurt (Stoneyfield Farm) that contains multiple different cultures of beneficial bacteria or I have Kefir that I get from the health food store. Kefir is like liquid yogurt and tastes really good. The brand I get has FOS a very important component to feeding the helpful bacteria and helping them establish a colony. I also tried to control my anxiety by using "Tranceformations Works" - "Anxiety & Panic" and "IBS" self-hypnosis tapes (you can get CD's also) by Dr. Steven Gurgev ich. What a difference! I was able to travel to London and Paris this year with absolutely NO PROBLEMS. So, I'm not sure whether my IBS was caused by biological or psychological problems. Anyhoo...now that I've been using these methods, my anxiety about going out, driving, and to restaurants has pretty much gone away. What a relief. You can get those tapes on the internet from a number of places. Try typing "Tranceformations" into your search engine. The Kefir is available in health food stores (not vitamin stores) in multiple flavors. I like the strawberry best. Good luck.

Closed Thread