It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2004, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Colonoscopy, Lotronex(users too), Male....

Alright... I just went to the gastro for first time in 2 years... I've had upper scope, and a lower(which i thought was a colonoscopy but it was just the sigmoid or somethin like that) so now hes recommedning me have that done, which I am doing next Tuesday.... If after all the tests come back negative for anything serious, hes testing this time to rule out chrones, hes going to prescribe me Lotronex.... However he did make me aware of the consequences that could arrise from taking this drug. I am aware that it was available 5 years ago and after it came out they realized it was causing something to happen in the colon(almost like it to stop functioning) and they had to go in and operate and remove part of it.. So the drug was taken off the market, however after much public outcry to get the drug back on the market they do have it available, rescricted and after you have had all tests done...... My question is do you think YOU personally would take something like this.... I got on the scales and I'm 159 lbs, down from 185lbs. 2 years ago when I was there... Do you think the benefits would outweigh the risks?? Or any additional info for people on the drug would be friggin suuuuhhhweet!! thanks guys and girls.. i'm out lata!

Old 07-13-2004, 02:41 PM   #2

Lynda B. HB User
Re: Colonoscopy, Lotronex(users too), Male....

I just started Lotronex. Try getting on the net and looking up Lotronex. It is very important to get this through your GI. Also, possible risks are to some degree induced by oneself. You sign a contract that stipulates that you will ONLY take a certain amount every and not go over that amount. It also lists symptoms in which you should immediately call your doctor. Lotronex was taken off the market because many docs (sometimes GP's or some w/o enough education about the medication) were prescribing 2 and 3 times the recommended dose. The serious side effects are ischemic colitis and severe constipation which can cut off the blood flow to that area of your body. So...if you have certain symptoms with Lotronex you must accept the responsibility for calling your doctor right away. In addition, Lotronex often takes 1-2 months to work.

I am tired of being a prisoner in my house so this "risk" is acceptable. Plus I trust my GI without question and he trusts me (seen him for 15 years).

Best thing is to look this up on the net.

Goodluck,

Lynda B.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread