It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 04:02 PM   #1

MissGooberLynn HB User
Unhappy Anyone have IBS whose main symptom is Bloating/Gas?

Pretty much the only problem I have with IBS is constant severe bloating and gas. Anti spazmatics have never worked, as well as Zelnorm (it gave me severe diarrhea) I know my gas is caused by the colon and my GI has told me that is the hardest to treat. I am just at my wits end, I have tried every herbal and vitamin supplement on the market, GAS X (which doesnt, interestinly, treat COLONIC gas). What can be done, if anything? My appetite is destroyed and my health is declining.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Anyone have IBS whose main symptom is Bloating/Gas?

I know the feeling and I don't have a solution. You are not alone. It is driving me crazy. I hope that someone has some suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran

bluetooth HB User

wow!! its my main symptom!! dont worry you are definitely not alone. I cant walk about a yard without releasing wind or do physical exercise because the gas just creeps out
I find that if i avoid eating processed food like mcdonalds, junk food in general and avoid crisps/sweets/chewing gum my gas is limited, white bread is a major bugger too! try natural yogurt (ive been recommended), it helps replace bacteria inside the gut with good stuff so i hear

hope this helps

Old 07-15-2004, 08:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

YES!! those are my main symptoms! I look freakin 5 months pregnant at times! I have tried everything! I take a digestive enzyme and it helps sometimes. cutting red meat out was a plus! I don't eat fast food anymore!!! I have completly changed my eating habits and I don't drink anymore and I still have problems!!! Yogurt does help though! Hope we can find an answere to this crap. any other people with this?
Carly

Old 07-16-2004, 06:37 PM   #5
Veteran

monarchangel HB User

OK Can someone explain something to me that may seem a bit silly. My doctor told me I had IBS about a year ago. My main symptom is that I am nauseous 24/7. It comes and goes in severity, but I feel like I am about to throw up a lot. I did have constipation, but I have that under control. I am wondering, because I am always bloated. I mean I look like i am pregnant. Do you think gas could cause nausea all the time? I take so much pepto bismal, but maybe I am treating the wrong thing. I feel gassy all the time but I hardly ever pass wind so I'm thinking maybe that could be why I am nauseous. I hate it so much sometimes I can't even leave my house.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

Have you tried the otc drug phazyme(spelling ) It truly helped me.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Hi, thanks for the info...I am glad it helped you. What kind of otc med is it? what is it taken for? thanks again
Carly

Old 07-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

It is for gas and it really helps to rid it.It just mostly dissolves it and the pain goes with it.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:35 AM   #9

RachaelC HB User

Fennel seeds are also great for gas and bloating. Just buy some at a local health food store (or even at the supermarket -- probably with other baking ingredients). You can chew on them (taste like licorice) or put them in a tea strainer and make hot tea (that's the best way). Works pretty well, and a natural way to relieve the symptoms, too.

Old 08-04-2004, 09:00 PM   #10

RingBR HB User

Same symptoms here. I have days that I don't want to go to work because I can't find clothes that fit my distended abdomen. I'm going through a bad stretch right now. It affects my mood, my appetite, and my ability to sleep. The only thing I have found that works is cutting back significantly on solids for a day or so. I stick to water and yogurt, and the gas clears up.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #11

PierParty2 HB User

I was diagnosed with IBS after having a battery of other tests run and nothing showed up. I never had any problems until I had an emergency C-Section with my twins 5 years ago.....then all the symptoms started. My main symptom is Bloating/Gas and often nausia. I have also noticed that cutting down on red meat, fried, processed foods seem to help. I do believe yogart helps by replacing the bacteria.Another product that has helped me is Omnigest EZ. It helps promote healthy digestion by heading off gas and bloating due to indigestion of dairy, fat, starch etc. Anyone else notice problems after a c-section or major abdominal surgery?

Old 08-21-2004, 11:45 AM   #12

Mabes HB User

Gas is my main problem too, and it's just got to the point where it's ruining my life. I feel like I can't go anywhere. It's embarassing, yet whatever I eat I still have huge amounts of gas! I also suffer from bloating, and visit the toilet around 6-8 times a day yet don't have D. I've been referred to the hospital for a scan, and if they can't see anything from that they intend to do something slightly more gruesome to look around! I'm just sick of being sick .. I sympathise with anyone with IBS, I never ever realised how awful it is.

Old 08-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #13

crazygirl32 HB User

I have alot of bloating problems also.. I have changed my eating habits tremonously.. it takes disapline. I allow myself one spurlge day where I can eat what ever I want.. I took a 7 day cleanse that helped and now I am on Fungal Defense by garden of life.. you should try it.. read it on the internet.. it is for people with IBS.. it cleans out all the bad yeast in your body .. this week is the alst week to be on it. it is a 14 day cleanse then I will be taking Primal Defense for about 6 months.. puts all the good bacteria back into yoru system. I think this has really helped me. I have noticed that I do not ahve as much problems running to the bathroom after eatinga meals and not as much bloating as I was experiencing. Me and my husband both started eating better.. exercising and drinking alot of water.. that helped also!

Try the fungal defense... or at least read about it first.. you will be surprised what you learn!!!

Old 09-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #14

cowgal HB User

Have had IBS for close to 15 years, some years better, some years worse. Really gets worse when I'm stressed out. The only thing that I've found that works for that lower intestinal gas is charcoal caps. When I'm having a really rough day I may end up taking 6-8 before the day is over but at least the next day I'm not in constant pain from the gaseous state. I too have trouble finding anything that will fit because of all the stomach bloating. I also take garlic pills 3xday which help - don't know why, just know that when I don't take them, the gassing is worse. It's bad enough to have to have the "going all the time or not at all" problems with IBS but when you throw that gas into it, you don't want anyone to hear you go to the bathroom. TOTALLY embarrassing. Glad I'm not alone. Oh, yes, I also noticed that the less meat I eat, the better off I am. Stress plays such an important role in our health and I for one haven't take "de-stressing" seriously enough. Prayers for us all. cg

Closed Thread