It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2004, 03:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Worried, losing work and scared of losing our house!

Hi...I am worried about my husband. He has had tummy problems with D for years, but in the last 6 months, it's gotten worse and now includes vomiting at times.

He is a Paramedic and sometimes cannot work due to this (and we are losing money)...he cannot respond to a 911 call while in the bathroom

He went to the Gastro dr last week.....she scheduled him a colonoscopy (due to his symptoms and family history of Crohns)...but she said nothing he said was alarming her. Ok, so if he doesn't have a disease, that's GREAT....but there has to be something that can be done!

My husband is wondering if it's due to coffee, but if that were the case, wouldn't he have this problem everyday?

Are there meds that can help this or what??? Please help..thanks

Old 07-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: Worried, losing work and scared of losing our house!

Hey an overcounter drug that helps is Immodium AD.... Most people on here would tell you not to use it b/c it can stop you up for like 3 days but it definitely gets the job done.... And most gastros will approve the use of this long term, as it does not cross the blood-brain barrier... However, you're not treating the root problem, just masking it w/ a bandaid.... You could ask about a drug called Donnatal or something similar(anti-spasmadics)... They provide a sedative effect as well as providing relief from the spasms, ie. they reduce the gastric motilitiy.... Some have found these types of drugs useful... Also taking a calcium supplement (CALTRATE +D) works wonders for some.... this type of calcium has calcium carbonate, carbonate is the least absorbable of all the calciums, but this is how it works for people who suffer w/ D.... it works by not working, the unabsorbed parts get into the intestines and absorb water(this is to my knowledge anyways....) but yeah there are options.. and if its extreme, there are drugs like Lotronex, that are used for severe D, w/ limited prescriptions, only after all possible tests have been done...... Also, try changing the diet... Most people have problems with MILK PRODUCTS w/ a condition w/ D.. however most do not recognize this.. try switching to Soy milk..... And staying away from creamers in coffees, caffeine.... greasy fried foods... Switch to grilled stuff... But definitely look into changing the diet first and foremost..... Because if you aren't eating the right foods, you're going to have problems even w/ medications.... get the right food and vitamins, and then use the medicine to assist you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 05:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User

Hi all....well, my husband had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy, with 3 biopsies, one including a test for celiac....all they found was H Pylori bacteria.

I spoke to the dr and stressed how serious this is...she wants to do some stool studies and then have him come back in again...I pushed more and said "isn't there ANYTHING he can take?" she mentioned Lotrinex.

I also asked her if going to an allergenist would help, she said no, if he had allergies he would have hives etc...

UGH

Old 08-26-2004, 05:57 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User

My sympathies are with you regarding your husband. I too had the same problems were I did have problems with work and had to handle the consequences of it. There are a couple of things I would propose:

1) Write down everything that your husband eats!!! He may have an allergy to several foods. In this diary I would document when the meal was eaten, and then the symptoms when they occur. (I understand that would be extremely diffikcult being a paramedic) The reason why this is important is because reactions may take an hour to a couple of hours to arise. Eating multiple times during a day makes it difficult to determine which is a trigger.

2) If he can bring his food to work, In this way you can control what is being eaten and how the food is cooked. Remember that the main triggers for me at least is wheat, milk and sometimes eggs.

3) Read labels - many of the things that may be triggers may go unnoticed on the food labels such as modified food starch can be wheat or corn based, and may cause a reaction.

4) For me coffee and other caffinated drinks seem to aggravate my symptoms

Good Luck and I hope things get better.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #5

guitarpicker HB User

I agree with the previous posts. I have problems at work, too, but I work in an office and can usually escape to a bathroom for a while, but occasionally I just have to go home. But there are ways to minimize it. It starts with not eating cafeteria food or fast food. Fats, and greasy foods are the worst. For me, dairy foods are just as bad, but that's not everybody. I pack a lunch of foods I know are safe for me. I just learned that iceberg lettuce is also a common suspect, which I just started eating a lot of for weight-loss. I'm switching to Romaine, instead. Avoid cafeine, soda pop, chocolate, and start reading labels. A lot of store-bought foods are the devil in disguise. Unfortunately, Different foods hit different people, but here's one thing that helps almost everybody: Metamucil. It will alter the bowel habits at first so that you think something's wrong, but will stabilize it over a short time (a few days) if you're consistent.

Press the Doctors for more info, they're not suffering so they don't feel the urgency, but they often have the facts you need.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

Are you saying he was found to have H. Pylori bacteria? Well I had an infection with H pylori once and I thought i had a cancer in the stomach of how bad I felt. It was a non stop diarreah and nothing worked and I lost over 10 pounds. If its H Pylori then its no big deal because that is easy cured. It only took a course of antibiotics (biaxin) along with antiacids. Never had a problem with H Pylori again but I heard it can come back.

Old 09-05-2004, 12:47 AM   #7
(male)

minded HB User

Hi, Im feel sorry for you & your husband. I am still young (20 yr old male) & i know how this can affect your work & also studies. I wish so much to open my own business & to make a good life for myself but my IBS makes it so hard for me. I have been to so many gas. doctors & all of them prescribed stuff like Colofac for the gas & pains, anti-depressants to relax my muscles, etc... but nothing has helpd.

I have excluded everything from my diet coz nothing helps. Everytime i eat, i get pains, run to the toilet & feel irratable.

Now, the only thing i eat is bananas & i work the wholeday & try not to think about my IBS problems.

I know its hard to only eat fruit, i have been doing it for 3 days so far but i feel great. The only thing is that you can get tired of eating fruits & it doesnt exactly full your hunger. If you do decide to eat fruits, please check which fruits agree with you first. Apples have fibre & therefore make me go often to the toilet like IBS D, oranges are gassy. i Dont know about the rest but as everyone in this forum will tell you that everyone is different.

I hope this works out for you & your family. You will be in my prayers. Good intentions never die!

Closed Thread