It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 01:56 PM   #1

mkbson HB User
Just diagnosed-questions

My husband was just dx with IBS. He has always had problems with diarrhea but in the last year it has become almost a daily problem. He has no energy and catches every virus the kids bring home from school. It never occurred to me that his apparent run-down condition could be linked to the diarrhea. Is this normal for IBS sufferers?

His doctor just gave him some samples of Welchol. I have seen a few posts that mention this drug and say it helps. I would appreciate any feedback. Also, how expensive is it. We have insurance, but I'm not sure how it pays on drugs. I think it's 50%.

Old 07-20-2004, 07:00 PM   #2
(female)

catloverlou HB User
Re: Just diagnosed-questions

Hello MKB. I have never heard of Welchol, but I will say that IBS will sap your energy, and leave you run-down. When I have a flare up that lasts any length of time, i am not much good for anything the rest of the day. Has your doctor prescribed anything else for IBSD? There are MANY products out there which help some and not others. There are a lot of things that are over the counter, and relatively inexpensive. It is hard to suggest anything without a little more info about his symptoms. You will find a LOT of help on this board. The people are great, and we know how exasperating this can be. GOOD LUCK, and please let us know how he is doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #3

maggie39 HB User

Hi MKB
I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with IBS, which for me was primarily diarhea, gas, bloating and nausea. Only about a year ago I found an article on something called "fructose intolerance" that really rang a bell with me, so I did a little more research and have since found out that this is what I have. It's really just like lactose intolerance, but it's an inability to digest frustose sugar rather than lactose sugar. There's been a lot more research on it lately and some doctors think that it accounts for a fairly high number of IBS patients, if their symptoms are primarily diarhea rather than constipation. The University of Iowa has good information on it.
The main thing is that fructose sugar was rarely used as an added sweetener until thelate 70's early 80's and with the introduction of highfructose corn syrup we're now consuming way more fructose than some people can handle. Since staying on a fructose free diet, I'm completely fine now! I would strongly recommend your husband look into this since his symptoms seem to be about right.
Maggie

Old 07-22-2004, 02:42 PM   #4

Lisa43017 HB User

You might want to have him check out The Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It often frees IBS sufferers from their symptoms. Google it for more info. For me my IBS pretty much goes away when I avoid wheat and grains. Good luck!

Closed Thread