It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2004, 02:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
got the colonoscopy over w/ - MY STORY

alright... as far as the preperation, it was pretty bad, however i did not get very ill, just had to use the br quite often..... i mean i started from 3-5 yesterday, and was up using the br until 4 in the morning.... i slept until 8, and continued using the br until i left for the hour long journey.. while at the hopsital i used the br like 3-5 more times...... NOW ON TO THE ACTUAL COLONOSCOPY..... this was not the worst thing i've ever experienced.... i've experienced some pretty bad pain before.... i did not feel they gave me enough medicine.... the last time i had a procedure done there my mom said when i came out to the waiting area i was "druggy" for awhile.. this time i was completely literate... actually i remember watching parts of the procedure on the screen, and actually a point where i was screaming in pain and they were like how much have you given him... and they said give him another "50 and 1".......... it wasn't horrible.. but it was not pain free either.... i mean its 4:45 pm now.. i had the procedure done at 1:30 pm.... i feel completely "normal" as far as the sedatives go, i know they say you may think you are but you really aren't... i however think i really am..... maybe tired but i mean i'm completely literate, well enough to type out this extremely long post.. haha.... i mean if i had to do it again, i would.... oh yeah about the results, they checked out... just the original ibs diagnosis..... sooo thats a good thing.. i'm gonna try a new medicine, not lotronex(yet) and we'll see how it works... just diet, stress-management, vitamins, and the help of a medicine is where i'm taking my course to.... i'll keep fighting the good fight... but just thought i'd let ya'll know how it went... I NEEDED MORE MEDICINE THOUGH!!! definitely, i didn't wanna be able to come home and type out 50 pages for a post.... later all, hope this finds you well...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: got the colonoscopy over w/ - MY STORY

alright its now thursday.. had the procedure done on tuesday.... i got a followup call from the hospital checking in on me... well, i'm doing fine as far as no nausea or severe pain.. i did ask them how long it would take me to get back to normal, as far as bowel movements, and they said upwards of a week... b/c of how much of the laxatives you have to drink before the procedure.. it takes about a week to get back to "normal"... this is good for me to know... wish i would have known that all along, so i wouldn't have been worrying how long it would have taken...... thanks for all the replies to my previous post.... i believe it was "colonoscopy next tuesday scarrreeedd"...... hope my story helps someone who will be going through the same thing..... its not as bad as one would think... the prep. the day before is definitely the worst part... and the week after im finding out isn't too cool either.. but that will soon be over, thanks again.. i'm outta here, lata

Old 07-25-2004, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

Mine is scheduled for wednesday and I am definitely not looking forward to it. You say the prep is the worst??Like I won't be able to leave the house the day before??UGH, and you can only have clear liquids. Was the procedure itself bad?? I am going to request they give me plenty of drugs, I had an endoscopy last year and it was fine except for the end where they were pulling the scope out. I actually asked them did they start yet and it was all over. I don't want to work myself up too much about the colonscopy but I do want to be prepared.

Thanks and good luck to you, I hope I hear its only IBS also

Old 07-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

yeah, definitely the prep is the worst part... i started w/ four ducalax pills at 3.... then i mixed 255 gm of miralax powder into 64 oz. of gatorade... the pills didn't hit me hard until i started drinking the miralax drink, i had to drink 8 oz. every 15 minutes until all the 64 oz were gone... after about the 4-5th drink i was definitely starting.... then it was like BAMMM, stay in the bathroom or else.. haha yeah you'll definitely go like no other time in your life..... someone told me that before,and its true... i was up until 4am the next morning.. and i still used the br when i got up at 8, until 10.... then i did at the hospital too like 5 times... i actually had to when i went into the procedure room after waiting in the outpatient area.... and i told the nurses that but they said the doctor was on his way and the instrument they use can suck out anything that you have inside still..... so that was comforting... the actual procedure isn't too bad.... like i said one time i woke up, and was in pain, but they gave me some more meds when i did...... after the procedure it takes about a week before you start to function normally again... because you drink so much of the laxatives.... they recommend you not eat anything heavy, greasy.. and remain on the liquid/light meal diet for a few days... i felt no nausea or pain after my procedure, and really wasnt too crampy either... i was surprised by how well i felt, pretty much 100%... i was literally running up and down my stairs at 5 oclock THE DAY OF the procedure, and i had left the hospital at 2:30.... good luck, and no worries!

Old 07-25-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB Usertooolgrl HB User

thanks, I have to prep with the fleet phospho soda mixed with clear liquids. But at least I don't have to start til the night before my procedure. I am upset that I cannot take anything but tylenol, I junked up my back pretty bad and tylenol just does nothing for me, but oh well only a few more days.
Thanks for your comforting words.

Old 07-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

I had one- the prep is the worst. I have a twisted colon and I don't remember a thing. I did have a polyp they found. When I left the hosp. I felt fine-and hungry and we stopped and ate on the way home. Don't worry- you'll be fine.

Closed Thread