It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2004, 10:30 AM   #1

ScaredKitty HB User
Diagnosed with IBS 6 years ago, has never been mentioned again?

I was diagnosed with IBS when I was about 13.

I was diagnosed by a doctor I havent seen since, and I havent really mentioned it to my other doctors since either. But I was wondering, from those of you who actually DO have it, if you could tell me if it sounds like I do for sure, I've never really been positive about it.

Whenever I eat red meat, particularly steak, Im in the bathroom about 10 mins later, guaranteed. I unfortunately live with my father, and he only knows how to barbeque, so sometimes this is unavoidable

I have to take my chances with dairy products, I seem to handle yogourt and small amounts of cheese. But any chocolate, ice cream, straight milk, etc, and Im in the bathroom about 75% of the time right after wards. (possibly lactose intorlerant, but iffy on that)

If I stress at all, or get anxious, Im in the bathroom immediately.

If I have a cigarette/coffee too soon after I wake up, Im in the bathroom.

I always feel bloated/gassy/overly full after eating, especially greasy foods, and they also trigger me to end up in the bathroom about half of the time.

Im not sure if I just have a sensitive stomach, or if it is IBS, I'd appreciate some input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #2

FireWoman HB User
Re: Diagnosed with IBS 6 years ago, has never been mentioned again?

Just from your explanation and symptoms, it sure sounds like it to me. All of the foods that you listed that bother you are pretty much universal trigger foods for IBS. These are foods my doctor said to stay far, far away rom. Of course I am not a doctor and do not have the authority to tell you definitively what you have, but in my own personal opinion - ya got it!
What tests did your doctor do? Colonoscopy, blood work etc...
Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2004, 02:33 PM   #3

ScaredKitty HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaStimson
Just from your explanation and symptoms, it sure sounds like it to me. All of the foods that you listed that bother you are pretty much universal trigger foods for IBS. These are foods my doctor said to stay far, far away rom. Of course I am not a doctor and do not have the authority to tell you definitively what you have, but in my own personal opinion - ya got it!
What tests did your doctor do? Colonoscopy, blood work etc...
Dana
She did blood work, and when it was worked out to nothing else, she said it was IBS. So thats why Im a little iffy. She just didn't find anything in my blood work so she said IBS.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:07 AM   #4

maggie39 HB User

Hi Scared Kitty - is this the same Sacred Kitty with low blood pressure? I responded to you on the BP site. I've had digestive problems too (which I did finally after 10 years find out was fructose intolerance. )
If you often have diarhea, it will make you dehydrated, contributing to the low BP. I know my dizzyness and fainting spells increased during times my digestive problems were really flaring up.
It will probably be especially helpful for you to drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated, and if you normally eat a low salt diet, you might want to try increasing the salt a little.

As for the food - the best way to figure out if its certain foods causing the problem, is to do an elimination diet. It can be pretty hard, but well worth it! From my experience, the best way is to figure out a few foods that you KNOW are OK, and eat ONLY those foods for a full week. Then add one thing at a time, waiting several days inbetween to make sure its OK. Remember, it can take up to 3 days for food to work it's way through your "plumbing", so let each new food get through completely before adding the next.

I hope this helps!
Maggie

Old 07-23-2004, 02:41 PM   #5

ScaredKitty HB User

Thank you again maggie, you've been very helpful.

I've pretty much figured out my triggers. Red meat, especially heavy ones, dairy products, nuts, stress, stimulants, and anything really greasy. Oh, and bananas for some reason, but no other fruit.

So pretty much, if its good, I can't eat it lol.

So I really don't have a huge problem anymore, just sometimes its a guessing game. You know if something is a little greasy, Im not sure if it'll be too much or not. Or if its got nuts or dairy in it. I do have a diet low in salt, but I had cholesteral problems a year or so back, so Im a little worried about increasing it, my cholesteral is down...but I dont know if its down enough to stop worrying about yet. And I drink water constantly. So Im really not sure whats going on with my blood pressure. I am hypoglycemic, but I don't know if that could cause any of this?

Thanks so much again

Old 07-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Just a thought........often, food allergies and hypoglycemia are related so you might want to get that checked out, too.
Katalina

Old 08-02-2004, 08:26 PM   #7

bumblebee84 HB User

Your symptoms are very similar to mine. If I drink coffee in the morning, I go to the toilet somewhere up to 9 times to the point where I have to run to the toilet. Unfortunately, I NEED a coffee in the morning and find if I don't have one, I am constipated anyway which I think is worse because the abdominal pain I get with constipation is crippling. I'd rather go than not.

As soon as I eat a big meal, I am bloated and in pain. I am full of gas 24/7 to the point where I am forever breaking wind which is extremely embarrassing and I've developed a social phobia from it. I can't even begin to explain my fear of silence. I can't even sit in the doctor's waiting room because of it. And because I'm a student, the fear of sitting in a classroom and needing to pass wind or go to the toilet is so intense (more so because I'm seated and there's a feeling of pressure in my abdomen) that I suffer anxiety attacks to the point where I shake, can't breathe and cry. It sounds ridiculous but it's true. And because I have these attacks, the IBS gets worse - to the point where I am literally afraid to leave the bathroom. It also has something to do with nerves I think. I find my problem is at it's worst in the morning. I don't know why that is but I envy people who can get up and leave the house no worries. Because I have had this for so long, it's routine for me and if something buggers up my routine, my IBS is worse. It's a no-win situation. I find that I start to feel normal in the afternoon. It's a pain because I go through all this crap and start to feel good towards the afternoon and then the day is over and I go through it again the next day.

I am still being tested for various things and will need to have a colonoscopy but was put on Zelmac which made my condition about 10 times worse. I went to the toilet but never felt empty so I had a feeling of needing to go all day. I'd say your condition is definately IBS and I don't know if Zelmac would regulate your BM's but it's worth a try?

Closed Thread