HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/)
-   -   Question on IBS (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/192862-question-ibs.html)

ellie40 07-25-2004 07:32 AM

Question on IBS

Hi- Last year I was having some bowel problems diarrehea, constipation along with some bright red blood (after wiping). My Gastro Dr ordered a Barium Enema w/air contrast and said everything looked ok and said I have IBS. He prescribed Loperamide for the diarrehea flare-ups and told me to take Metamucil to bulk up my stools. For the past week I have noticed some parts of my stools are flat and this AM when I went I had very thin pencil size stools. After the pencil thin stools I had to go again and that time the stool size was normal. This has happened a few times in the past couple of weeks. I have also been having bad stomach pains and gas and a weird pressure like feeling in my rectum. With IBS are pencil thin stools normal or should I be concerned about other problems and see the Gastro Dr again?

Harry 08-01-2004 07:08 AM

Re: Question on IBS

It is unusual how different people react to water soluble fiber. What it suppose to do is absorb fluid and make your stool more bulky with the increased water content. A person is suppose to intake 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly.

The problem these days is our food is so processed with so much preservatives that most people don't get but about 13 grams daily and it is not balanced between soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. As a result intestinal problems have become second only to colds in causing people to miss work. But the intestinal problems many times just don't go away unless you really treat the problems.

RachaelC 08-03-2004 05:02 PM

I know that psylium in Metamucil and Citracel and cause bloating and gas pains. Try Fibercon....it does not have psylium, but calcium polybicarbonate. It works for me -- a lot better than Metamucil. But, you do have to take more pills to get the affect of the powders. I usually take up to 6 Fibercon pills a day, mostly before each meal and that helps to prevent diarrhea and constipation.

I also have had a little red blood spotted on the tissue....doc examined me and noticed I have small fissures (cuts) from pushing too hard, or just when the intestinal/colon contractions are frequent, it can make the little cuts open up again. A warm bath and applying hydrocortizone to the skin (anus) works well for me.

ellie40 08-03-2004 05:38 PM

Hi thanks for the replies, I might give the Fibercon a try!

Harry 08-04-2004 06:11 AM

Metamucil contains a natural water soluble fiber -psyllium- that is broken down by digestion and does cause gas. But, as your system gets use to it --the gas goes away. When starting it, just start off slowly.

Citrucel is made with methylcellulose and is a semisynthetic type fiber that is not broken down by digestive bacteria and does not ferment ---thus it results in less gas problems. But, it is a water soluble fiber.

Both Metamucil and Citrucel are safe to take daily to make sure you get enough water soluble fiber to bulk up your stools.
Fibercon is a synthetic fiber, is not brokendown and does not bulk up your stool. It is an insoluble type fiber.

I have been taking a psyllium supplement like Metamucil --- Equate from Wal Mart for 22 years. It seems a little courser than Metamucil and it cost half as much and does the same thing as far as I can tell.

Harry