HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/)
-   -   Zelmac, IBS and university students (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs/193065-zelmac-ibs-university-students.html)

bumblebee84 07-26-2004 12:54 AM

Zelmac, IBS and university students

Hi everyone,

I have suffered with IBS in silence for about 5 years. I have it mainly under control but I find it gets very bad when I have to go back to university classes because I have constant wind and I am forever leaving class and having to explain why I miss classes on a bad day. That doesn't mean to say that IBS is a walk in the park when I'm not at uni but I cope a lot better because I spend most of my time alone or with people I am comfortable being around. At uni, my stomach is forever making noises - growling, bubbling, squealing - you name it. I suffer from terrible anxiety attacks and depression while at uni and most of the time, I HATE getting up in the morning. I panic so badly that I get short of breath, claustrophobic and terribly afraid. I know passing wind isn't the worst thing in the world but it scares me half to death. Does this happen to anyone else? I was considering trying hypnotherapy cuz sometimes I think it's in my head and I'm going absolutely mental. Has this worked for anyone else? What else can I do? I don't want to leave uni but I dread going to class as well!!!!! Please help!

Also, I broke down the other day and finally went to see a doctor about it and I have been put on Zelmac. Tablets freak me out cuz I'm always afraid it will make it worse or bugger up my routine. Anyone else take Zelmac and does it actually work?

Thanks guys.

mooncrone 07-26-2004 09:45 AM

Re: Zelmac, IBS and university students

:)
i just started zelnorm....have not heard of zelmac...i'll go look it up

the zelnorm is for the constipation end of IBS

peace,
mooncrone :wave:

bumblebee84 07-26-2004 11:34 PM

Zelmac is the australian version of zelnorm I think. I've been on it for a day and so far, I can't even go to the toilet. Am terrified that I'll have an attack in a class :eek:

mooncrone 07-27-2004 12:56 PM

:eek:
i have been on it since last thursday. not sure if it is working right. i get this sensation that i HAVE to go and it is only gas. so i hope that i see some improvement before i run out of the samples and have to pay for it

peace,
mooncrone :confused:

bumblebee84 07-27-2004 11:34 PM

[QUOTE=mooncrone]:eek:
i have been on it since last thursday. not sure if it is working right. i get this sensation that i HAVE to go and it is only gas. so i hope that i see some improvement before i run out of the samples and have to pay for it

peace,
mooncrone :confused:[/QUOTE]

I'm experience the exact same thing. Feel like I need to go badly and it's only air. It's driving me mental.

camiel2589 08-05-2004 08:05 AM

if the pill is not working, try breaking it in half and taking a half w/breakfast and drink something hot like coffee. This is the only way zelnorm works for me and it has changed my life. Good luck! :wave: