It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
Developing new intolerances - Eggs

I just watned to ask the board if once you become intolerant to one food that your body can develop intolerances to other foods. I have an adversion to certain grains and now I believe I am developing an intolerance to eggs.
Is this normal? Are the symptons the same for a wheat or gluten intolerance than it is for eggs. I have also noticed it has to deal more with the number of yolks that I use.

Any information would help

Old 07-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Re: Developing new intolerances - Eggs

I don't know if this is normal. I do know that I have been experiencing the same thing. It seems that every week I have to eliminate something else. In February, I went on the low carb diet and felt better for awhile. The muscle aches seem to be eliminated and I had more energy. However, I developed a bad case of indigestion due to the fatty foods and had to go off the diet. Now, the aches have returned and I can't eat dairy. It seems that I just need to fed by a tube or something. It gets frustrating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi guys,

It is possible to develop intolerances to other foods. Allergies to food or reactions to food is something that can be caused as well. It is not unusual to have a reaction to one food and then develop the same reaction to other foods. That being said, it is also possible to lose your intolerances to foods too.

IBS sufferers are especially prone to that kind of trouble. Forgot to add: the reactions you experience are different for different people and different food substances. It is possible to suffer from vomiting when you are exposed to certain foods while others you can experience severe pain, and yet others cause you to flatulate or give you D or C, while yet others can cause your tongue to itch etc.... So, I would say, that you can't necessarily predict what kind of reactions you will suffer from a particular food type.

Cheers, Raju.

Last edited by 6th_sense; 07-29-2004 at 09:41 AM.

Old 07-31-2004, 07:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

I don't vomit, but certain foods cause bouts of bad pain and eventually diarea...not sure if this is an intolerance or just a food allergy?

Old 08-01-2004, 10:33 AM   #5

Frustrated1 HB User

Thanks for the replies, It just seems like this past week I have been experiencing a huge flareup in diaherra bouts. The main symptoms are
1) Extreme Fatigue:
2) Sweating
3) Abdominal pains
4) Diaherra (explosive at time) Also accompanied by a sulphurous smell

It is just very frustrating to try something new becuase I always have in the back of my mind, Ok will this give me a bout of indigestion or diaherra.
I know that coffee sometimes aggrevates the symptoms and I am also
considering if my eating patter does not also play a part in it.
Due to a change in circumstances I cannot eat small meals throughout the day so there is a large gap in between meals, does this also play a part?

Old 08-01-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Frustrated1,
I don't think that a large gap in between meals has anything to do with it. I wouldn't say it's "normal" to develop intolerances to other foods, but it does happen. Food allergies occur for many reasons, and boy I wish I could cure mine. I can't eat gluten-containing products, dairy, soy, tomato, potato, strawberries, and a whole bunch of other foods that I gobbled down my whole life. Some say food allergies are caused by "leaky gut syndrome" and sometimes, food allergies just develop for no apparent reason. I'm sorry you are having to go through this, because it really is hard. Like 6th sense said, the reactions to foods don't always have to be the same. If I eat dairy, I get acid reflux, low blood sugar, hot, itchy, and nauseous, but if I eat anything that contains gluten, I get the "cold sweats", a hot face, bloated, severely constipated, VERY depressed and whiny and major anxiety. It's different for every food and every person. I wish you luck,
Katalina

Closed Thread