It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2004, 11:54 PM   #1

Fury23 HB User
Maybe someone can help?

Not really sure if I have IBS, but after I eat certain foods I get the worst diarrhea. I already follow a pretty strict diet, which has eliminated most of the problem. For example, I eat no dairy and drink no soda. Basically I eat fruit and plain slow cooked oatmeal for breakfast and lunch and I drink only water, nothing else. For dinner I will always eat some vegetables and I usually stay away from simple carbs. Tonight I had steak, salad, fruit, corn, and some garlic bread and I havenít been able to move my stomach has kept me in the bathroom all night. This happens a couple of times a month, and usually when I stray from my diet. Does this sound like IBS? Iíve been to the doctor twice, but they always tell me it is just stress, but Iím on summer vacation so Iím not stressed at all. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Post Re: Maybe someone can help?

Hi Fury,
I don't think you have IBS just not a very balanced diet.

For your Gastro system to function properly you need to intake 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily. It needs to be sorta balanced between soluble and insoluble fiber. I wondered as I read your message why are you eating all water soluble fiber most of your day and none at the end of the day--dinner.
All muscles in your body need protein to function --- without adequate protein you will lose muscle mass even in your colon that needs it for contractions so as to pass fecal matter.
I think your diet needs to be more balanced with breakfast, lunch and dinner. You need about 50 gram of protein daily but you can divide it between 3 meals. Eating it all at one meal can make your gallbladder put out too much bile resulting in diarrhea or like a steak no fiber and constipation.

All meat, seafood and dairy products contain no fiber. Most fruit and veggies contain insoluble fiber--- like bananas, apples, pears, nuts green beans, cauiflower, wheat bran don't absorb water. Grains like oatmeal, rice, corn ground all absorb fluid--- also beans and root veggies like potatos, carrots, turnips, beets.
I eat yogurt 2 or 3 times daily because it has protein and active friendly bacteria cultures to aid digestion. It does not contain but very little lactose (milk sugar) that give people problems.The lactose is used up in the fermentation process.

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 08:36 AM   #3

Fury23 HB User
Re: Maybe someone can help?

Thanks for the help Harry. So yogurt in the morning will provide me with protein. I will try this and eat some water soluable fiber at the end of the day.

Closed Thread