It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #1

luv2garden HB User
Smile Lotronex?

Hi--I'm new to this board. I find it very comforting somehow to know I'm not the only one who has these problems. I have severe diarrhea/abdominal pain/gas/bloating which has led me to quit my job (in an effort to eliminate stress). I can go no where without first taking something to control the abdominal cramping and sudden diarrhea attacks. My gastroenterologist said to research Lotronex on the web and then we're to discuss it next Monday. I am willing to try anything at this point but I am afraid of the side effects. On the other hand, what could be worse than cleaning up after myself every day after a diarrhea episode. If not Lotronex, what else could I ask about that has helped someone? I also have fecal incontinence and have undergone a sphincterectomy, which didn't really help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Carole

Old 08-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
(female)

catloverlou HB User
Re: Lotronex?

Hello Carole. Although I am sorry you need to be here, welcome to the board! I am surprised you havent had any answers yet, but there are so many different ways to go. Did your doc. say it was IBS? When I get the abdominal pain I take Hyoscamine tabs. You put 1 or 2 under the toungue and the pain is usually gone in minutes. I havent been having this problem lately, as I seem to have found the help I need. I take Digestive Advantage in the morning. It is fairly new and inexpensive, and you can buy it at almost any drug store. I also take Caltrate calcium colon health tabs. I take 2 a day, 1 in the morning, and 1 with dinner. I cant say I am cured, but I have only had 1 attack in 3 months. Everyone is different, but I have read several posts that say these things have helped, especially the calcium. I have not tried Lotronex, it has helped some people I guess. I am afraid it is mostly trial and error. I wish you Good Luck! catlover I just read your other post and see you have been diagnosed with IBS. Digestive Advantage also comes in a lactose intolerent pill. catlover

Last edited by catloverlou; 08-10-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2004, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Nanner HB UserNanner HB User

Since Lotronex is back (like a bad dream) I feel the need to share my experience with the drug. I've had IBS issues for years, and it was so bad that I could never guess when it would hit, and had more than my share of embarrassing situations.

So when I first started on the drug, I thought it was fantastic. As my symptoms improved, I went to one pill every other day. I never realized just what the relative freedom (I would still get the occasional flare up, but not like before) cost me.

The drug was pulled from the market, but I had continued to take my remaining meds in what I thought was a very moderate schedule to maintain (one pill every three days). I still ended up with an impacted bowel. After that, the drug disappeared from my shelf.

Since then, with Weight Watchers, cycling and walking, I've dropped a fair amount of poundage (and this is also post cervical spinal surgery, folks) and try very hard to keep up the fiber intake. I still need to take something like Loperamide on occasion to still my bowels, but I would never suggest anyone take Lotronex after what I went through. What started out as a godsend ended up a nightmare.

I think doctors just push the current "in" pill, regardless of the cost to patients in money or health. I just had a nurse practioner prescribe Effexor (an antidepressant) for my incessant hot flashes. She gave me samples, and though the drug was never approved for that use I tried them. Ended up with nausea and cramping that convinced me I am never filling the script.

I am beginning to subscribe to the Public Citizen creed of not using any drug that hasn't been on the market for at least 7 years. I'm tired of feeling like Big Pharma's guinea pig. As for Lotronex, my advice is RUN AWAY.

Old 11-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Look over this board.. And you will find a lot of useful information....

Lotronex is a very serious drug, that can potentially have very serious side effects.... You may not want to take that step yet, if you haven't already tried other meds first... I feel lotronex should be the last resort, when nothing else works...

You say stress plays a role... Well.. have you tried any anti-depressants... They have shown benefits in patients w/ ibs.... Particularly Tofranil would be your best bet since you're on the D side of it.... How about Librax?? It combines an anti-spasmadic with an anti-anxiety med... Its in the same class of medicines as Xanax.... A lot of people here have said Librax is amazing... some have said it isn't.... But my point is you have to find what works for you...

Umm... How about any herbal supplements?? Caltrate Colon Health Pills help stop D, and increase bulk... Papaya enzymes taken after meals can help digest the food... Aloe Vera Juice/Gel is used to help digestion.

Research Lotronex, and after you do... you and your doctor need to discuss if you think the benefits outweigh the risks... Your doctor may think they do... But in the end, it's really up to you.. I wish you luck in your search for relief! That's what we're all seeking...

Old 01-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #5

Shellene HB User

I have nothing but good to say about Lotronex. It lets me lead a normal life again. I was devastated when it went off the market and even considered getting it from Mexico or Canada, but I tried something else. I think I was on Bentyl and lomotil for a while, until I went to the gastroenterologist and discussed going back on the Lotronex with the restrictions. I now take it once a day, every day and have been doing so for over a year without any problems. I guess it works on people differently. The only thing I do is to try and keep track of when I have a bm. If I go more than 2 days, I start eating more fiber and drinking more water and things are flowing normally again. Good luck to you!

Old 01-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Nanner, you said this "I think doctors just push the current "in" pill, regardless of the cost to patients in money or health"...

I think that may be true in certain situations w/ certain medicines, like anti-depressants... but w/ Lotronex I think you couldn't be anymore wrong....

Doctors in general, do not want to prescribe this medicine, because of the potential for patient side effects, and patient lawsuits... That's why it has such a strict prescribing policy and why the patient has to sign a contract as well as the doctor knowing they were aware of the side effects before they started taking this drug...

I personally could have got Lotronex, my doctor was willing to prescribe it to me, after my last colonoscopy... But I decided against it, and had my mother tell him this while I was coming out of sedation while he was discussing the results of the scope w/ her.... She said he couldn't have been anymore happy/relieved that I was deciding against it and was willing to give other meds some more chances....

And there will always be people who can't tolerate certain medicines, and those who love the medicines people like you hate.....

The person, along w/ his/her doctor, needs to discuss this and figure it out on their own... That's why it's so important to have a doctor you can trust and talk to..

Good luck on your quest for healing! God bless

Closed Thread