It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2004, 06:47 PM   #1

ChristinaF HB User
Exclamation pain in upper left abdomen

I am new to this list, but have read many of the posts here and found them to be very helpful.

I am taking Glucophage for PCOS (I am not diabetic) and I believe that it and a serious anxiety problem is behind most of my IBS problems. For the past several months I have had alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation, but it has never been associated with anything but abdominal cramping, until yesterday.

Yesterday, I was walking across the living room and was struck by pain in my upper left adomen. It persisted for five hours. It went away only after my bowels were completely evacuated. I slept well and got up this morning with no pain.

Then, today I went out for dinner and had salmon, potatoes (with green onions, woops), and carrots and green beans. I have only had one cup of coffee today. I felt the urge to go to the bathroom and within 15 minutes, the pain in my upper left side returned.

Has anyone else had this pain before? I cannot get in to see a gastrointerologist for three weeks and this new pain is giving me great anxiety. Can it be IBS related? Help!!

ChristinaF

Last edited by ChristinaF; 08-13-2004 at 06:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

aaronon HB User
Re: pain in upper left abdomen

Dear ChristinaF,

I have IBS-C, and pain is the name of this horrible game. I dont have the IBS-C at all. There are days that I'm trying to make deals with my body to have something. I can go three weeks without anything coming out. I take a prescription laxative that the doctor gave me and it doesn't work. I also, recently, drank some Magnesium Citrate...an over the counter laxative that is supposed to totally clean you out and it didn't work. Enemas don't work much either. The pain is getting worse. And yes, I have the pain in my upper left and right side. I know what it is, but, can't do anything about it. Recently, I ate some raw carrots, some grapes and a chip at my mother in laws and I swear within 10 minutes the most incredible pain hit me and I thought I was going to die. I hate this IBS stuff! We are all suffering and someone should be able to cure it.

Gina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 06:07 PM   #3

ChristinaF HB User

Thanks for the reply Gina. It sounds like you are in horrible pain. Thankfully, mine comes and goes, but it feels so terrible when it is present and it scares me, because I think I have something even worse wrong with me.

Thanks so much for helping me not feel so alone in this.

ChristinaF

Old 09-07-2004, 11:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

I have had the same pain for 10 weeks now. It took me a while to figure out I needed to go to the doc, then it took 6 weeks to get in with the gastro. I have history of Crohn's disease in my family. Half brother has it and Dad possibly had it. They are going to do all the tests this month and then hopefully I will know if it is ulcer, Crohn's, or colon or whatever. Just hang in there.
I was put on pepcid twice a day, but it's not as good as nexium that I'm on now. I was also given rubinol forte to help relax my colon. Have they put you on anything?
The meds help unless I eat something fatty,carbonated, or caffinated. then I pay for it.
Good luck!!
Nodi

Old 09-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #5

ChristinaF HB User

The pain in my side was temporary. It last about five days and has not come back.

Please post when you find out from your doc.

Christina

Old 09-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi guys,

I just invented something for those of you who have pain in your left sides just under your rib cage and just above your diaphragm. Imagine the following:

Imagine a perfectly enclosed glass cylinder with glass threads (like the threads of a screw -change which way the threads are wound around the cylinder later on) and inside the glass cylinder you can have differently coloured and differently tasting juices (sweet, bitter, sour, salty, coffee.... tastes) that are sloshing around in the cylinder. The cylinder also has liquids sloshing around pouring downwards and upwards around the threads.

Now imagine this cylinder is at the left rear corner of your head and is a little under half the height of the back of your head. Now imagine the cylinder is spinning round. Try imagining it spinning clockwise and anticlockwise as well as the threads....(change the winding of the threads too) - see which combination makes you feel like the threads are scooping some brain material with it.

Also imagine that perpendicular to this cylinder at the midsection of the cylinder there is a line drawn about 2 cm away from the cylinder whipping around in a circle with the cylinder. It is about 2cm long. This line is about 2 mm thick and string is being spun from it. The string that is being spun (like homebased weavers pull cotton from a cotton ball to create threads for a homespun cloth) is being pulled from the top and bottom edges of the glass cylinder and the pulling is causing the line to spin like a spindle spins on a sewing machine.

This should help you control the pain in your left side somewhat.

The same imagery can be applied on the right hand side, however the line should be found 2cm from the top of the cylinder (instead of at the middle) and the thread should be pulled towards the middle of the cylinder.

Well, I hope some of you manage to figure this complicated explanation out, and I hope it helps you.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread