It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
Is this normal?

My doctor diagnosed IBS a while ago, although I don't seem to suffer constant D or C, I do get pain, mainly on the left side and back.

I've had my bowel checked and an ultrasound last year which the doctors were happy with although it showed I had a bit of fatty liver infiltration which he said is quite common and since my bloods showed normal function I shouldn't worry.

Anyway, to add to the problem I do have anxiety and panic problems which started out of the blue about 2 years ago.

Today I've had quite a painfull stomach, and felt a sudden urge to empty my bowels. When I went there was quite a bit of gas and it there was little else except some D which was pretty much jelly like (didn't smell too nice either!)

Anyway, the thing that concerned me was that there was some bloody traces in the jelly. Now it's not gushing out! But I wondered in anyone else gets blood in their movements?

Old 08-16-2004, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Is this normal?

Blood in your stool should always be checked out by ba Doctor.
You may want to start taking a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil. It is safe to take daily--- it will bulk up your stool and make you regular w/o straining.

That causes hemorrhoids the main reason for most traces of blood in your stool.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2004, 06:18 AM   #3
(male)

chriscwharris HB User

thanks Harry. I didn't have any other blood during the last week, just left sided pain which I get quite often. I also had some upper left sided pain, lower right and some cramping.

Today I had a sudden urge to go and again, there was clear/yellow'ish mucus/jelly which was streaked with blood. I'll arrange to see my GP next week. Problem is, he's unlikely to do anything about it as I'd been checked out last year (although no barium xray or upper scope work done)

My concern is whether Ulcerative Colitis might not have been picked up. My blood work was all pretty normal last year.

Old 08-22-2004, 11:15 PM   #4

GirlinDistress HB User

Hey Chris,
I also get really bad pains in the lower part of my back on the left side. I always wondered if that was normal for an IBSer? I've even been falsely diagnosed in the ER with a kidney infection because of this pain. I've been told that IBS can cause back pain, but I almost always get mine in the same spot and and find myself wondering what causes it.
Any idea?
Thanks...

Old 08-23-2004, 10:07 AM   #5
(male)

chriscwharris HB User

no ideas yet I'm afraid. Saw my gp today who wants me to drop a sample off to be tested. Problem is things take so long over here in the UK.

I've just eaten some food and 10 minutes later my side starts to hurt. I'm not a happy person at the moment, sick of feeling sick if you know what I mean.

Old 08-24-2004, 04:41 PM   #6

GirlinDistress HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscwharris
no ideas yet I'm afraid. Saw my gp today who wants me to drop a sample off to be tested. Problem is things take so long over here in the UK.

I've just eaten some food and 10 minutes later my side starts to hurt. I'm not a happy person at the moment, sick of feeling sick if you know what I mean.
Sorry to hear that Chris, I'm in the same boat... sometimes my side starts hurting before I even finish eating. If you get any answers please keep me updated.
Feel better

Closed Thread