It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 05:33 AM   #1
Veteran

Neca HB User
What has worked/improved/cured your IBS?

Hey I am desperate male trying to find relief from my (mild-moderate) IBS, curing the symptoms would be an achievement for me in itself if curing the disorder is unlikely. To contain my IBS, I have adopted a diet consisting of mostly fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds as well as some fish and occasionally wild meat. I have many food intolerances and allergies especially lactose which I definitely avoid (and gluten also). I drink only water and fresh vegetable juices and avoid all non-organic foods. I have undergone a few courses of bowel cleansing using Psyllium Husk and Bentonite Clay as well. At the end of the bowel cleansing I replenished my system with some very high quality probiotics.

Now after doing all of this I have to say that my IBS has definitely improved but I do still experience stomach cramps, abdominal pain, diahorrea and more-often than normal visits to the bathroom just to a lesser extent.

I read a post on this board (by bulletinboard25) advising the following for IBS: caltrate colon health calcium, a probiotic, a digestive enzyme, and cut out dairy and gluten. Has anyone had any success with the caltrate colon health calcium and digestive enzyme approach? And with regards to probiotics, I have just finished a one month course of taking probiotics and was advised by someone working at my Health shop that it isn't a good idea to take too many so one month was all I got. The healthshop worker I spoke to said after I had finished the probiotic course, I should take something called F.O.S. as a 'top-up' for good bacteria. Is this true and has anyone taken them?

I think the probiotic course did my body a lot of good because since I have finished my IBS did seem to improve so I'd like to know why would taking another course of PB's be bad?

If anyone has had any success with other remedies or approaches that I have not already mentioned then I would love to know except if it is regarding taking anti-depressants which I am strongly against taking. I am also not sure how the body would react if Immodium is taken on a day-to-day basis. I do, however, use Immodium in emergency with great successful.

Thanks again for any help...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #2

jas1980 HB User
Re: What has worked/improved/cured your IBS?

I am a 24 year old female, and I take Levsin for my IBS, and for the most part it works for me. My mother who is 54 has had horrible, horrible IBS for years, and was even hospitalized for it. She is currently taking homeopathic pills and she says it has changed her life. Worth looking into.

Old 08-30-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

craftlady HB User

For years I have had problems with IBS, so many triggers theres too many to list. I have taken a product with live food enzymes in it. I works for me, it hasnt cured me just helped a lot, at least now I can eat and not have a bad attact.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:48 PM   #4

Lisa43017 HB User

Eliminating gluten and limiting chocolate. Gluten is a huge factor in my pain. Also not eating too much fiber.

Last edited by Lisa43017; 08-31-2004 at 02:48 PM.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Smile Re: What has worked/improved/cured your IBS?

Hi ,I take Caltrate (in the pink bottle )1 to 2 tablets before each meal and it's totally whipped out my IBS (d),now if my stomach is upsey it's from the flue!!I started it 2 years ago and it totally saved me (i think it took around 1 week and 1/2 to get the full bonus from using it but it definatly works !Good luck !

Old 09-03-2004, 04:49 PM   #6

guitarpicker HB User

I've had IBS since I was a teenager, and I'm still learning new foods that I react to. I asked my Doc what foods to avoid, as I was about to have my umpteenth colonoscopy and he mentioned that he's been seeing more problems lately from people eating more iceberg lettuce. I recently started eating a lot more iceberg lettuce with the South Beach Diet and that kicked it up in me. I just wanted to share that. I never would have guessed the lettuce. I'm switching to Romaine to see if that helps.

Also Metamucil seems to help me. It just helps me stay regular so I avoid the constipation and the diareah. But don't take it at the same time as medicines or vitamins because it inhibits the absorption of the meds, too. I use Imodium when it gets really bad. Also the Doc just gave me Robinul to try and relax the bowell. I haven't been on it long enough to know if that's helping. But there are several prescription meds like that that relax the spasms.

You pretty much have to figure out on your own what your trigger foods are, though besides the standard ones: caffeine, soda pop, milk, chocolate, and ...iceberg lettuce. Also, lots of prepared foods contain milk, whey, casein, and other problem ingredients. You have to become a label-reader.

Good luck.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

catloverlou HB User
Talking Re: What has worked/improved/cured your IBS?

I have been taking the caltrate colon health calcium for several months now, along with the Digestive Advantage, and it has worked wonders for me. I also take Levsin sublingual pills when I have cramps with the D. I dont eat things like chocolate, peanuts, popcorn, or corn. Nothing that is really hard to digest. Fast food is a REAL no-no too for me. Immodium is way too strong for me too, so I take another brand.
Good Luck! Linda

Last edited by catloverlou; 09-07-2004 at 08:57 AM.

Old 10-13-2004, 04:39 AM   #8

FelineLuv HB User

Hi, I am new here....but just wanted to put my two cents in. I have IBS with severe cramping with my stomach sounding like a washing machine or something (embarrassing!!!!) after eating (some foods worse than others) and then have to rush to the bathroom (several times). I have had some very good response to an herbal product by Arizona Natural called IBS Guard that contains artichoke leaf/ginger root/peppermint leaf/caraway seed. The directions say to take 2 caps 2-3 times daily between meals, but I take them right before I eat and they have helped me immensely. I can actually eat out at a restaurant without worrying! I hope if you try it, you have the same great results. Good luck to you!

Old 10-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Hi, I found that red meat was bad for my ibs, I cut it out completely and feel better. My main problem is bloating and cramps!!! uh the worst, I look freakin pregnant! I will try the caltrate. I actually just started the digestive advantage, they tast good! hope it works out for you!!! Carly

Old 02-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

I suffered from lifelong IBS ... over the years called spastic colon, abdominal migraine, IBS - C. Was hospitalized several times in childhood & adolescence for pain, bloating & constipation, typically lower rt. quadrant radiating pain, so numerous evals for appendicitis. In addition to daily yukky gut w/severe constipation, I had flares every few weeks that put me to bed for a day or two, and were followed by headache. At age 45 the flares began to include stabbing acute rectal pain. Despite a lot of doctoring, I had not had much success with any medication tried.

Quite by accident, over a period of several years, both of my kids were found to be intolerant of gluten. One kid had wheat allergy(dx age 10 yrs.) , the other had both wheat allergy & celiac (dx age 17 yrs.). Neither one had IBS, although the WA kid had a major tooting problem (solved w/GF diet), and the celiac one had had on & off diarrhea for several yrs. before she got quite ill with mono-from-hell; 10 wks. in bed until her food intolerances were addressed, freeing her immune system to fight the infection. The diet also resolved her diarrhea.

When the 2nd child needed the special gluten-free diet, I decided to just prepare the whole family's food that way. Within a couple of weeks, I was able to give up a 20 yr. dependency on Metamucil (lifelong wheat bran routine had also of course been chucked.) My BMs became regular & of normal consistency. Soon I realized that it had been a while since I'd spent time in bed with an incapacitating gut flare.

It's been 22 mos. since I made the diet change. No going back to the std. gluten-filled diet for me! I've celebrated the first two pain-free Christmases of my life that I can recall. My spastic colon, constipation, incapacitating gut flares, headaches, and rectal pains are history.

On testing, I did not show any of the three categories of antibodies (IgE, IgA, IgG) to gluten that my kids had, so I have no idea why the diet worked for me. But it did.

The GF diet has a steep learning curve. To be successful, you must eliminate every trace, every speck of gluten, down to the "parts per million" level. That means never-ending label reading (wheat, barley, & rye all must go, in every tricky chemical incarnation). It means checking not only food, but also beverages, meds, vitamins & herbs, etc., cosmetics, art supplies, drywall compound & wallpaper paste. It means avoiding cross-contamination with crumbs (cleaning rags, cupboards,toasters, butter dish, PB jar etc.) & airborne flour. It means never again licking an envelope. It means that eating-out options are limited, and that you can NEVER cheat.

A gluten-free diet is unlike any 'diet' most of us have ever been on. NO ONE is prepared for the rigor & time committment that it takes at first, but with experience, it all becomes second nature. I found my local Gluten Intolerance Group absolutely invaluable in getting up to speed on the diet. I had problems shopping, cooking, baking, finding recipes, working with schools, and social/emotional issues that were comfortably addressed in the supportive small group setting.

I realize that not all -- maybe not even a significant number -- of IBS sufferers are gluten intolerant, but I can't help wonder whether there are a few more out there like me. IMO, the diet is definitely worth a try if you are suffering & haven't had success with ordinary medical measures.

Best wishes to all.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #11

adw37 HB User

Just wanted to post something from my families experience. My aunt and my sister both have had SIGNIFICANT improvement by eating yogurt EVERY day.

Now they have one called Avtivia that is specifically designed for digestive problems.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

My gastroenterologist had me try Digestive Advantage for two weeks. It didn't help at all. I've been lactose intolerant for about ten years but can eat all the dairy I want with no problems provided I take a lactase pill at the same time. I can eat gluten products with no problem. I even had four cups of coffee today with no problem.

I was just diagnosed with IBS the end of December, and so far have identified two very serious trigger foods: wild rice and soy milk. I suspect that other soy products will also be a problem, but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. Big veggie salads were trigger foods, too, just not to the same degree as wild rice or soy. But I didn't want to give up my big salads, as doing so increased my blood pressure into the need-medication range again. I read on another website yesterday that if one eats insoluble fiber, if one has IBS, one needs to get ample soluble fiber in the same meal. I tried taking Metamucil with a big salad yesterday and it worked! No diarrhea! And my blood pressure was back down. But that was just one time. I'm looking forward to trying this out almost daily now to make sure it was that and not some other fluke that caused the lack of reaction that time.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

There has been a lot of talk about caltrate or other calcium products. If you are having constipation with your IBS don't take calcium as it is very constipating. I read that somewhere and had some friends that didn't have IbS but were very constipated all the time. They stopped the caltrate and the constipation went away.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

elmhar HB Userelmhar HB User

The form of calcium has a lot to do with whether it is constipating or not. Calcium citrate is much less constipating than the common oxide or carbonate forms of calcium. Caltrate is a predominantly calcium carbonate compound.

People who are bothered by constipation may actually be helped by a Cal/Mag Citrate combo. In fact, some people can't take cal/mag citrate because it makes their bowels too loose. You may have to go to a health food store, or the nutrition section of a dept. store to find this form of calcium, and it may be more expensive than Caltrate.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Canyondweller HB UserCanyondweller HB User

Thanks for the info. Most the Drs. recommend the Caltrate here for bone density so that is what my friends were on and I was also. I am on the chewables and it didn't seem to bother me but it sure stopped them up. I will look for the other kind.

Closed Thread