It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

Justcantgo HB User
Backed up for a while now

Hello everyone, sorry this is long, Iím new to this board and Iím hoping someone out there has some experience with what Iím going through. Iíve just been diagnosed as having IBS with constipation.

Some history: Iím 30 years old and as long as I can remember Iíve never been ďregularĒ. Iíve always been very gassy, my stools were typically dry, hard, and sometimes painful. From age 22-28 I abused prescription painkillers which of course constipated me, but when I would run out of the painkillers I would go into withdrawal and have diarrhea. I was on this up down, back and forth rollercoaster for quite a few years. I quit the painkillers about 2 years ago and I would have a BM about once a week, sometimes more. Sometimes it was painful, but it wasnít a big deal, I was going.

Then a few months later, I started following an Atkins type diet (no sugar, refined carbs) I lost weight and I became more regular than I ever have been. I was going once or twice a week in very large amounts, but I was having no pain, almost no gas and bloating, my stool was soft, and I passed it easily.

The problems Iím now having began Christmas of 2003. I donít know if thereís any relation, but over the holidays I went off my ďdietĒ for a few weeks (then went back to Atkins). During this time I ate lots of cookies, candy and typical junk food. I was still going at least once a week, but I started feeling like I hadnít ďemptied outĒ after I would go. I occasionally tried taking a few different types of laxatives but I still wouldnít go until about two days later, no matter what I took, and I still wasnít getting the relief I was looking for. This has been going on for several months now and itís getting worse.

I finally broke down, went to my regular doctor and she gave me Miralax which I took everyday for a month. It helped somewhat, but I still have that feeling of fullness. I still feel like I havenít ďemptied outĒ. I just went to see a gastroenterologist and he seemed very nonchalant about my situation and told me I would have to be patient. He gave me Zelnorm (5 days now and still no BM, although I feel like there has been some movement). If that didnít work he wanted me to try colace twice a day and Milk of Magnesia at night.

It doesnít make sense to me to take a stool softener. I am definitely not having a problem with hard stool. Does anyone have any suggestions? Iíve already tried the fiber thing and it seemed to make things worse. Does this sound like IBS?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread