It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2004, 01:40 PM   #1

Frustrated1 HB User
Sugar, Artifiical Sweeteners and IBS

I think I may have posted this before, but should people with IBS avoid artifical sweenters such as Splenda, Sucrolose, And Aspertaime? Does natural sugar and honey produce the same responds in people. I guess I am a bit confused becuase I have read that the artifical sweenteners are so concentrated to be 100 times more "sweet" than sugar. Consequently does the body react more aggressively to them

Thanks

Old 09-03-2004, 05:50 AM   #2

VenusEnvy HB User
Thumbs down Re: Sugar, Artifiical Sweeteners and IBS

I am not sure about the general harm of artificial sweeteners, but I know for certain that particular ones cause my IBS-D to go crazy. The ones you listed I have frequently, and they don't bother me. However, Sorbitol and Malitol are pretty terrible for my poor GI tract. If you read the label on the back of any sugar-free product, take a look at the sugar alcohols. Usually the higher the number, the more often people with IBS have bad symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: Sugar, Artifiical Sweeteners and IBS

from the stuff that I have read... and the research I have done... it said for people to avoid artificial sweeteners who have ibs... and use natural sugar... natural sugar and honey are far better than artificial sweeteners... although everything in moderation...

Old 09-04-2004, 04:06 PM   #4

Frustrated1 HB User

I would like to thank you for your respones. I have not really looked at the sorbitol, malitol ingredient. But Now I will have to pay more attention. Are there any other psuedo name that these go under so that I can be a little more selective in what I buy. It just seems that my diet can be summed up into approximately 30 foods, all are natural foods and very very few processed foods. I do eat potato chips but only the small bags any more than that the oils make my system go crazy. How do you feel if you have ingested a high amount of sorbitol?

Old 09-05-2004, 08:18 PM   #5

guitarpicker HB User

I don't have problems with Splenda, but I've often wondered if Nutrasweet gave me trouble, and I know that Sachrine does.

Old 09-11-2004, 02:54 AM   #6

Theacat HB User

I can't eat ANY artificial sweetners, or caffeine, or the preservative E111 - all make be feel shaky, sick, anxious and give me diarrhoea. (I do also have panic disorder, however - so it may be linked more with this, than IBS)

Closed Thread