It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
list YOUR ways of PAIN management

i would like everyone who is willing to reply to list ways of dealing w/ pain; preventing the pain !before! an attack, and then actually what they use to relieve the pain !during! an attack....
i'm writing this as one of my primary complaints is the pain that accompanies my "attacks"...... granted i have very much controlled these w/ the use of tofranil, and donnatal.... but as far as the pain i have yet to find a real remedy.. my gastro doctor actually prescribed me xanax for my anxiety that accompanies this condition.. and when i have a bad attack i dissolve one under my tongue to relax me... but still... i am having a hard time finding different "coping mechanisms" or outlets for pain relief... the biggest pain relief that i have found is talking to someone close to me during an attack.... has anyone found anything that helps prevent these "pain episodes" or helps while one is in an actual episode of pain... natural remedies are obviously gonna be the most used on here, as no doctor in his right mind would prescribe narcotics for long term use......

Old 08-31-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Re: list YOUR ways of PAIN management

Well, during I always use deep breathing to the best of my ability...and concentration on it ending soon (hopefully). I am somewhat sensitive and try to stay in tune w/ my body so I feel the attacks before they come on full-force. Oh, as for preventative, well I have not found what works for me but I know this: Fast food spurs on attacks within hours of eating it--especially taco bell (a former addiction of mine that I am going to QUIT altogether) and taking my Caltrate daily keeps me regular!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2004, 02:42 PM   #3

Lisa43017 HB User
Re: list YOUR ways of PAIN management

Occasionally I can ward off the the attack if at the first feeling of pain I lie down and totally relax. Also sometimes if I eat something else like a piece of cheese it can help. once the attack starts there is nothing I can do for the pain but pace around and be doubled over in pain.

Closed Thread