It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2004, 12:58 AM   #1
(male)

minded HB User
Only eating fruits - need help please! Is that unhealthy?

I have been only eating bananas for the past 3 days & i feel really good, no pains, no tired feeling, no irratability, no anger & less times to the toilet.

Apples have fibre & make me go to the toilet often. Oranges are gassy.

All other foods make me tired, bloated, run to the toilet, angry & irratable.
I have been to 3 different gas. doctors & they prescribed different categories of medication, like for gas, pain, bloated feeling, depression, etc... The anti-depressants relaxes the muscles & make you go less to the toilet but i stopped bcoz i should go mad in my head with that.

I would really like some information on wether eating fruits can make you survive & nothing bad in health can happen to me.

I take Solgar multi-vitamins & Rhodiola Rosea everyday.

Please someone!

Old 09-05-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
(male)

minded HB User
Re: Only eating fruits - need help please! Is that unhealthy?

Help! Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2004, 10:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

i definitely do not think that eating only fruits for a long term period is good for your overall health... i mean first of all, they lack protein... protein is an essential part of a good diet... i've heard of people eating only fruits as a detox method for a week or so... but i wouldn't suggest doing this long term at all!! I mean how many calories can you possibly be getting from eating only bananas??? Its good you are taking a multi-vitamin but still your body needs FOOD.... try eating a diet gluten and lactose free..... definitely get some food in the old tummy... i mean... the only reason i eat is to survive, i know how you are feeling... its not fun like it used to be when i was a kid... but I know I can overcome this eventually... Grilled Chicken is something that Ive lived on for like the past 5 years... Try eating that with some rice cakes to snack on in between, get ur fruit, and eat a vegetable that you can tolerate... Eat lean meats, grilled not fried..... Take a probiotic.... take some papaya enzymes with meals.... take caltrate, and soon enough you'll find you can better control everything.. just some friendly advice! good luck

Old 09-05-2004, 08:06 PM   #4

guitarpicker HB User

Eating only bananas definitely sounds like a bad approach. There is a diet called the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesause and Toast) that my Doc put me on to "rest" the bowel, and it sounds like that's what you're doing. It's only intended to go for 3 days, not intended to be permanent. You need to figure out what your trigger foods and eliminate THEM, not everything. You need fiber and protein for good nutrition. I just found out about iceberg lettuce being a common trigger food, and eliminating that has helped me immensely. Other common ones are dairy products, cafeine, soda pop, chocolate, and anything high in saturated fat. Also try Metamucil, that helps me. I'm also on a prescription called Robinul that is helping with the cramps.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:05 PM   #5

litlepick HB User

I am a nutritionist, eating only fruit is a bad idea. you will eventually put your body into starvation and it will break down your muscle mass to obtain the nutritints you need. (think of the skinny little pot bellied children you see on those save the children commercials) you may want to try a vegan diet which contains no animal made products (eggs dairy meet fish etc.) you will also need to make sure you are not allergic to any grains vegies or fruits as this will re introduce the problem and consoder organic food because pesticides cause symptoms in some people. do the research first.

And just so everyone reading this understand I am a nutritionist not an MD.

Closed Thread