It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

laughy42 HB User
could this be ibs?

Hi!
I don't know if these could be symptoms of ibs so i'll let you all give me your opinions.About 6 wks ago I started getting this ache in my right upper side near my rib cage(not gall bladder had an ultrasound).I will feel bloated for a few days and then the ache starts for a few days then cramps,normal bowel movements to start ending in diarreah.Sometimes the ache comes before the cramps and sometimes after or during the diarreah(sp).
After i empty out my colon the ache is slight or not at all but it feels like there is something swollen in my right upper side like if my stomach would growl it would go away.In between these bouts I don't have my normal every other day bowel movements just a little here and there.
After i have an episode when I eat I can feel the food or drink gurgle thru on my right upper side where the pain was,it feels good to feel those little bubbles go through cuz after about 4 days it stops and I just sit and wait for my bowels to say ok enough here come the cramps and upper right side pain which can take 2 wks or more in between.My stomach doesn't do to much gurgling until after the cramps.It's like everything just sits there for 2 wks or more then boom it all comes out.Appretiate any comments.I am going to the docs and am not looking forward to the upper gi I know I'll have to have.

Old 09-21-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
(male)

tattooyu HB User
Re: could this be ibs?

Everybody reacts differently to IBS. My first thought (before I finished reading) was gallbladder.

In my case (and for others I have talked to), the cramping is intestinal so it is felt lower down, but anything is possible. IBS is a brain-gut affliction, so eating a trigger food (that's still in your stomach) can trigger an attack down further in the colon.

To have IBS means you need to rule out other things.

My suggestion would be to visit a gastroenterologist (or have your GP refer you if on an HMO) to have a checkup. I just had a sigmoidoscopy (and the enemas to prepare) to rule out other afflictions. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't too bad, and I got a clean bill of health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 10:51 AM   #3
(female)

laughy42 HB User

I do get the cramping lower,the pain on my right upper side is not cramps,it an ache like if you were to press on a bruise.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

It sounds like trapped gas in your colon. I take a water soluble fiber supplement like Metamucil -- twice daily. It makes me regular w/o straining.

A person is suppose to get 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily for their intestines to function properly.
Metamucil (psyllium) when you first start it will produce gas but with continued use it goes away.
It is safe to take daily and a bulking agent.

Closed Thread