It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #1

Crimson0087 HB User
New to this PLEASE HELP ME!

Hey My Name is Bryan and I was just diagnosed with IBS. For the past couple of years I have always had problems like at school and stuff however it seemed as if it was only at school and when i go off. Typically now I have the same problem every single day. I wake up and go to school and Have bad cramps at school. Then I come home and I am usually fine until 2:00 I go to work then im usually fine untill I eat dinner. I work at chicfila. After I eat dinner I dont have cramps but my stomach seems to toss and turn and I have bad gas. It isnt always that I have Diahreah and I have never been Constipated. In fact I rarely have diahreah but my stomach does turn a lot and I do have to use the bath room several times a day sometimes and it is usually small amounts and sometimes loose stool. Now the fact that I have the problem worst at School and work makes me thing that it is all triggered by stress or by worrying that I will have to go. The doctor has put me on EFFEXOR XR for the stress and depression. First of all I want to know. Is it possible that this is all from stress and that relieving stress could relieve the problem? Also I was wondering, will this problem for me get worse over time or will it just be how it is. I am also wondering I am 17 years old and want to know if I will grow out of this maybe when my metabloism slows down a bit. I really dont think I could live with this the way it is now and Id rather die so please help me and give me any advice. So to sum it up or If you just want my questions. They are
Can the Effexor XR relieve the problem completely?
Will the Problem get worse over time?
Can I grow out of it maybe if my metabolism slows down?
Please give me any information available or tips.
Thanks a Bunch....Bryan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 05:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: New to this PLEASE HELP ME!

1.Can the Effexor XR relieve the problem completely?
-Yes, these types of medicines do help with this condition... My knowledge on why, is 90% of the seratonin in our bodies is in our stomachs, not in our brain, so there is a huge gut-brain relation with "nerves"... The medicine helps stop that message sent to the brain "what if" i have to go... It helps deal with the nervous pain as well.. I don't know if that makes sense, but I have found this type of medicine useful.
2.Will the Problem get worse over time?
-You're 17, and you have already begun to seek treatment.. recognizing the problem and getting proper treatment will help you in returning to normal health. The thing you're going to have to do is not "stress" about it... The more you stress, the more it's going to eat at you overtime. Also, really try to eat as healthy as you can, I'm seriously saying this is more important than medicine.. The foods we eat affect not only our stomach health, but our overall health... Look into changing your diet, and eating with this condition..
3.Can I grow out of it maybe if my metabolism slows down?
- I have heard of many success stories of people one day simply not experiencing any more of the symptoms. I do not know if this will happen to you, but it is possible.. If you eat right, exercise, and continue to keep up positive thoughts, anything is possible.
4. Please give me any information available or tips.
Some extra advice... Like I said, eat well.. Eat grilled, not fried... Stay away from refined sugars, stay away from processed food.. Eat organic and natural as much as possible. Other herbal remedies... You may find relief from Peppermint tea from pain.. Green Tea has been found in many studies to have many positive affects on the stomach... Caltrate Colon Health Pills help bulk up the stools, Papaya enzymes(found at local healthfood stores, or at the vitamin section in stores like walmart) help make food more easily digested, Probiotics(found at the same places as papaya enzymes) help restore the good bacteria in your stomach... Try taking on something that relaxes your mind and body for 10-15 minutes a day.. Letting your teachers know you are under doctors care and may have to leave to use the bathroom may help alleviate some of the stresses of "what if" I have to go... Just knowing they are okay with you getting up out of class without warning or permission may be all you need at school.. Good luck man, I found out 3 years ago when I was 17 too.. I'm surviving, you will too! later

Old 09-24-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: New to this PLEASE HELP ME!

Hi Crimson,

Bulletin Board has been around for a while now and he gives good advice.

You asked whether it will go away: The answer is that it is possible - but not a guarantee. It could get worse or it could get better. But I would have to say that the consensus on this board, is that if you work at it, you can manage the disorder so that it isn't as bad, while you still have the IBS.

So, that's why so many people visit this board and post on a regular basis. They are part of something that may be around for a while, but they are helping themselves deal with each trouble, step by step - and we have a lot of people here to cheer you on.

Your stress about needing to go to the washroom is normal for most people on IBS - it happens to all of us. It takes a while of getting used to going to the washroom a little more often to get comfortable with your reality. Set yourself up so that you tackle one by one the things that make you uncomfortable - ie the things that you "can" change to help yourself feel more comfortable.

Also, those who are here on the board have experimented a bit and have found ways of dealing with diarrhea and constipation better. For instance, the use of calcium to help calm diarrhea or the use of prune juice to help with constipation. Look around the board and you will find the many helpful suggestions that have been posted here in the past.

If no-one has said this already, welcome to healthboards.

- Raju -

Closed Thread