It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #1

SunJim HB User
IBS-D People Please Read

I'm an IBS-D sufferer and have been since I was young, and have now found my solution to IBS and wanted to share it. My IBS had always been very minimal for years until it started getting worse maybe 2 years ago. I tried every solution and every treatment possible, and am going to share my experiences with each.

Please know that only your doctor can diagnose you with IBS after a thorough check up, including a colonoscopy, blood work, and stool samples.

I'm going to start with BAD medicine practices.

Bad Solutions

Hypnosis - Any reputible doctor will tell you that hypnosis is a false science. Please do not waste your time and/or money in this. If this solution worked, your doctor would advise it. Your doctor is not out to get you, and does care about you. If hypnosis worked, they'd advise it.

Herbal Supplements - Again if these worked, doctors would advise it. Your doctor is not out to "profit" from prescribing market drugs to you. They make enough money from appointments alone. Also see the above.

Homeopathy - Please see above.

Good Solutions

Fiber - Good for both IBS-D and IBS-C sufferers. Bulks the stool up and provides regularity.

Exercise - I know we all hear it enough, but exercising 30 minutes a day is not only good for you, it helps anxiety(big one for us) and depression. If you are not willing to exercise, do not complain that your having problems all the time.

Medicine - Your doctor can prescribe numerous prescriptions that can keep your IBS at a minimum. There are stomach relaxants, anti-anxiety medicines, as well as anti-depressants.

And what worked for me: Therapy for anxiety:

My stomach has returned to the way it used to be (flare up maybe once a week at most). Stress and anxiety can have such a large control over your stomach. Just because you do not have panic attacks does not mean you do not have bad anxiety, but rather putting yourselves in a safe position to hide from the panic attacks. I speak with a psychologist(with a PH.D) once a week to prevent panic attacks and anxiety and stress, and have found that it has worked wonders with me. I am also taking Lexapro for anxiety as well.

I hope this information has been useful to anyone who may need help and hope that you know you are not alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: IBS-D People Please Read

Hi SunJim,

I'm glad you've found a way to deal with your IBS troubles.

I find that I have to disagree with some of what you've written, although since you are speaking from personal experience and not telling anyone that what you say is necessarily correct, i am not objecting to what you've written.

If you'd like to find out more about hypnosis the official IBS site documents studies and teaching done on hypnosis. Visit: http://www.iffgd.org/EventsCalendar.html#UNC
(hope I am not stepping on any rules by posting this).

It actually talks about doctors who are taking hypnosis as a subject to specifically deal with IBS.

As for herbal supplements and homeopathy - I'm not a particularly big fan but it is a potentially a very volatile discussion, because others here have good experience with them.

Just thought I'd mention these bits of information, in case people were wondering.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread