It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 01:53 PM   #1

courtneyclv HB User
drinking tons of water and still constipated..thyroid?

Hi,
I have IBS with constipation. I have been drinking water and fluids, and nothing happens! I have to go pee once and hour because of this and the liquid goes right through me. If I eat a little or even drink water I blow up like a ballon and get bloated

I have also been looking very very tired around the eye area. (3 people have commented about this in a week) I have heard that maybe I have a thyroid problem?

Courtney

Old 10-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Re: drinking tons of water and still constipated..thyroid?

Constipation is a symptom of low thyroid function. The thyroid message board may help answer question. I have been a member there for awhile, I had thyroid disease before I had my thyroid removed.
Good Luck
Nodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #3

FelineLuv HB User

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that yes that is a symptom of hypothyroidism (along with dry skin, feeling cold all the time, tiredness, etc.). There are so many symptoms of hypothyroidism, it is very hard to diagnose without getting a blood test. Anyhow, in the meantime maybe you would like to try a product by Lane Labs called H2Go (sold in many vitamin shops and online stores as well). This product has helped my mom a heck of a lot and she had chronic constipation for many, many years. Hope it helps you. Don't forget to get your blood tested for the low thyroid.

Old 10-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
(female)

noinwi HB User

If your thyroid is ok, see if your doc will give you some Zelnorm to try. I have IBS-C and it helped a lot even at half the prescribed dose. But it is expensive if you don't have med coverage. It can give you diarrhea at first but then the effects even out and you can adjust the dose to your needs.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:00 AM   #5
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi Courtney,

i often feel cold and have dry skin and get constipated - I've had blood tests done to check for hyperthyroidism - and that's not it. So, I can't say that you necessarily have it either.

But, I do take a quarter of a pill of bile salts with my meals (I split the bile salts with a pill splitter), when I'm sure I'll be constipated. It helps a lot. I have heard that prune juice might help with constipation as well (which you should consider trying before the bile salts).

If you do try taking bile salts remember this: Take it only with a meal, because otherwise it won't spread properly in your food and then it will make you bloated. (one part of the stool will move smoother than the rest). Also remember to take only a quarter of a pill to start because it is extremely strong and you need some time to get used to it, after which you will understand how well it works and how much you need. Take it only when you are sure you will be constipated because it can make normal stools turn to diarrhea, and it can make diarrhea really bad. If you get pain in the right side of your chest.... then this is an ideal way to help that pain go away as well.

I hope something works out for you.

Cheers, Raju.

Last edited by 6th_sense; 10-21-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Closed Thread