It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
(male)

bcruth5 HB User
Short-term preventative measures??

I have severe IBS-D. I usually have 10 BM's each day, mostly diarreah. I usually try to avoid situations where I cannot get to a restroom quickly, but next week I am going to be involved in a very intense meeting that will last 3 or 4 hours. I've seen the schedule and there will only be one 5 minute break. My BM's usually take 15 minutes. Is there anything I can eat or medicine I can take that will prevent an attack just for 4 hours? My career depends on this meeting.

Anti-anxiety meds do not help my IBS. I cannot take Kaopectate or Pepto because of salicylate allergies. I will greatly appreciate your help!

Old 09-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: Short-term preventative measures??

what about immodium ad... the day of, taking 4 of them... 2 then 1 then 1.... or if you're career depended upon it and you didn't think there was anyway you could make it through.... you could try maybe fasting for a day or two before the meeting... (thats extreme, i'm not advising anything, just giving possible suggestions) or possibly you could give yourself an enema the day before and clean yourself completely out.. then just drink clear liquids and take immodium the next day... just options, i know if your career depends on it you may take extreme measures.... possibly you could get an anti-spasmadic drug from your doctor like donnatal or bentyl?? just watch ur diet that week... try the b.r.a.t. diet for that week of the meeting or the week before... which is bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.... it will be bland i know, but you wou may have better luck digesting this stuff...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #3

whowhat HB User
Re: Short-term preventative measures??

what I do is I take Immodium...and also i try not to eat but sometimes just the stress of having IBS causes me to have it anyway even if i havn't ate anything in days....i don't know where my body finds it...also i would bring some cool wipes cuz i know when i start panicing or the place is hot it gets worse for me...or even though this is embrassing but this is what I did with my boss I talked to him about my problem I was real embrassed about it but just knowing my boss knows and is realling to work with me helps the presure...maybe u can go in early and tell him or have ur dr. wright a note saying u need bathroom breaks whenever...just that pressure of being locked up and not having an accedent is usually pretty high and that might relieve that pressure it helped me out...good luck I hope everything goes well I know how this stuff can take control of ur life...

Closed Thread