It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

morningstar1 HB User
Shape of Bowel Movements

Has anyone one here had this?

Sometimes my bowel movements are very narrow and long. Not flat or ribbon shaped, just skinny and long.

Is this normal??

Old 09-28-2004, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: Shape of Bowel Movements

It may be normal for you but in some people that could indicate an obstruction. The key thing here is has it always been that way or did it just recently change. Whenever there is any change in bowl movements, it should be checked out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #3
(female)

trying4#2 HB User

I usually have the same thing, but only when i am suffering an attack.

Old 09-30-2004, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

morningstar1 HB User

Thank you for your replies.

My husband said his are the same way sometimes (mind you his interpretation and mine may be different).

I've recently started eating Raisin Bran almost everyday for breakfast and am wondering if this could be doing it. I have never been a person who ate much fibre before.

I've always suffered from inconsistent bowels. Since I was a kid. I'm now in my early 40s. Constipation for 3 days or longer, and then normal bowels the next day, and maybe mud-like /diarrhea type the next day. So when I start having regular bowel movements now it seems not normal for me.

Last night I had a 'normal-sized BM". To tell you the truth I never noticed if I had very slim BMs before as I never really paid much attention. It's only the last year or so I have been paying more attention to them. The reason it worried me this time was that I read somewhere if you have ribbon sized (do they mean flat????) and are they talking about the width or or the depth??. or pencil shaped BM it could mean an obsturction.

Mine weren't flat they were just very slim.

I also sometimes, not often, right after eating get cramp like pains in my tummy and have to rush to the washroom where I will have very loose BMs and sometimes (also rarely) get a white mucous on the outside of the BM. I've also had this for years. It happens very inconsistently. Can go for months with nothing, then it may happens a few times in a month. Also the gurgling and rumbling in my tummy just before.
Does all this sound like IBS??

Thanks!

Last edited by morningstar1; 09-30-2004 at 06:45 AM.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:11 AM   #5
(female)

trying4#2 HB User

it sounds like it but it also could be more. have you seen a gastroenterologist? i used to be a nurse for one and some of those symptoms (mucous) can be associated with other probs. we saw many patients with those symptoms. but the one i worked for also told me that gastro docs cant do much more for ibs than a regular doc. most fam practice docs can do a sigmoidoscopy. (have you done that?) it is uncomfrontable, but it is nice to reassure yourself. in case you dont know a sig is a examination but a long scope into the sigmoid of the large intestines. it is sometimes helpful and not as uncomfronatble as a colonoscopy. but the mud like stools and skinny ones are what i experience as well

Old 10-01-2004, 05:57 AM   #6
(female)

morningstar1 HB User

Hi Trying,

I was looking up the symptoms of IBS, one of the signs is mucous on the outside of the BM. I've had this on and off for about 10 years or so.

No, I haven't had that test. I figured if I've had this for over 10 yers and if it had been serious something would have manifested itself by now.

I will keep an eye on everything though and make note of any changes.

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2004, 08:31 AM   #7
(female)

trying4#2 HB User

ya you can defintley have mucous. it is just that mucous is associated with other things as well but if it is not alot or really bad then i wouldnt worry. I hope you start feeling better soon! (i hope the same for us all)

Closed Thread