It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #1

Forgiven77 HB User
Question ibs-d, taking donnatal but am becoming constipated. help!

okay so i use to be on levsin, i was on it for months, but my pain never went away just the dia. so my gastro put me on donnatal which has sort of a sedative, i guess it has helped a little with the pain, but i still have pain and discomfort everyday. I got constipated over the summer from the levsin b/c it stopped my colon so he also gave me miralax which is suppose to soften my stools by bringing water to my colon. I guess the meds help with the spasm and the miralax helps me not to get stopped up, but the problem is that even while doing the miralax everyday i still am getting stopped up. I also have been doing colonics too which has helped alot so i dont know if the colonics are slowing down my colon or if my body is getting use to the miralax or if the donnatal is slowing and slowing my colon down???? I mean my anti-spasmatic meds have stopped the dia. helped a little with the pain, but now im getting slower and im starting to always feel discomfort and bloated. What do you think is causing this sluggish colon?? I have a appt. with my gastro in a couple of weeks, but i would liked to have a clue on what you guys think. My body gets use to my meds, but im not sure if it can get use to miralax?? Is it the colonic???
Need advice- Kira

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: ibs-d, taking donnatal but am becoming constipated. help!

Hey Kira...Did your doctor tell you that you have IBS? It seems from what you have related, you don't have IBS at all. I have pain in my lower left quadrant and diarehea to go with it. My doctor put me on a regiment of meds, including 180 mgs of Methadone to slow the bowels and help with the pain. Even with that much of Meth, I still have the IBS-D, so I have to take Lomotil to help. I took Donnatal years ago, and the sedative it has is phenobarbital.

It sounds to me you don't have true Irritable Bowel, but maybe something else. I would question your doc, or maybe get a new one. Your colon is slowed down, way down. It sounds to me like it's slowed too much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 04:03 PM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: ibs-d, taking donnatal but am becoming constipated. help!

Hi Kira,

I once had food stuck all around my intestines. I wasn't sleeping much and I was working very hard at school. It seems that I stressed myself so much that it caused the intestines to stop functioning - this was long before I discovered I had IBS. I one day ended up going to the hospital in terrible pain, and the doctors took an x-ray to see what was going on, and thats how they found the food stuck there. Well, I didn't get any medication - just advice to ease up on the hard work. Eventually, I just ended up becoming a lot lazier, and a lot more scared of taking any kind of stressful workload.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread