It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
(female)

leelee04 HB User
Exclamation IBS,anxiety,or both?

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this IBS board. I've been having some syptoms and wondering if anyone could help me out. OK, Two months ago I was having a problem with my inner ear, I was dizzy all the time. It caused me a great deal of anxiety. So much I stopped eating. I lost a lot of weight. I'm 5'4 and weigh 101 pounds. Before this all started I was around 120. Well I was told I have fluid in my ears from allergys and was given flonase. The dizziness started to lighten up a bit so I started to eat more. Thats when my stomach started to burn, really bad. Plus I got bloated really bad. I went to the urgent care since it was sunday and my doctors office was closed. The doctor there said it sounds like gastritis and gave me zantac and reglan. I took them both. The reglan made me feel like I was going to jump out of my skin so I stopped taking it. I continued on the zantac but my stomach still burned and I was still bloated. Keep in mind I'm stiil a nervous wreck for some reason. I went back to my doctor and she put me on prevacid. The burning went away but I'm so bloated and I'm nauseas. I feel like I have so much air that wont come out. no matter what I eat I still bloat up. A couple weeks go by and the doctor orders me a ultra sound. It didnt show anything wrong. The doctor came to the conclusion that she thinks I have a little bit of IBS caused by anxiety. She told me she wants me to start taking zoloft and my syptoms will go away. Here are my syptoms. Bloating, sometimes cramping, I had diareah once, nausea, I feel like I constantly have to go to the bathroom but I really dont think I have to. My stomach growls and I think my colon growls. I have pressure in my chest and up my neck. Does this all sound like anxiety or ibs? I try to eat but its hard when I feel this way, I dont eat full meals I just snack all day. Its like I'm hungry but full at the same time. I stopped taking the prevacid yesterday and my abdomen feels sore. Sometimes it feels sore under my ribs too, and it hurts in my back where your ribs would be. I cry everyday sometimes all day. I dont want to live like this anymore. This is going to sound wierd but if I move a certain way I can hear something in my chest. It sounds like either wind or something rubbing together. Can someone help me I dont know what to do. Should I take the zoloft? Will or could it make all these syptoms go away? I'm at the end of my rope! Also I forgot to add I havent had a period in about two months and I'm not pregnant, I took two test for it. When I told the doctor she didnt seem to concerned about it.
Thanks
leelee

Last edited by leelee04; 09-30-2004 at 05:16 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Re: IBS,anxiety,or both?

Hi LeeLee -

IBS, anxiety or both - Maybe both but not what you think...

I am sorry you feel so sick! I am not a doctor so realize this is just my experience. But I wanted to share just so that if other symptoms start popping up you don't just attribute it to digestive problems.

My story is long...I will try to keep it short...In May I had a the worst cold ever...then two weeks later after getting rid of that then swollen glands...then the IBS started. It started out as lower left quadrant pain and I thought it was an ovary...then I had three weeks of utter agony. I started having mucous in the stool - bad diarreah - and everything was just off. I had a colonoscopy...everything functionally was fine. The doctor prescribed IBS medicine but because I get bad migraine and I was not satisfied that that was all it is I didn't take it. The gastro problems kind of levelled off but I was still having and still have a lot of pain. It migrates all over the abdomen now. I then started having the dizziness...that has lasted throughout this ordeal...then I started having the anxiety....then the insomnia off and on. I lost 15 lbs. the first three weeks of this - I lost my appetite completely - forgot to mention that. I was nauseas through this whole thing too. But it would come and go. Then I noticed my blood pressure had dropped and body temperature. I then went through 2 months of complete exhaustion.

That is the short version...anyway...don't be quick to think that IBS is caused solely by digestive problems. I found out that our digestive tract is our leading immune defense.

After numerous doctors visits, my homeopath ran a blood test for the epstein barr virus (the same one that causes mono) and my titer was high and showed a reactivation of the virus. I am also being tested for Lyme disease. Both of these issues can cause major anxiety. If you feel like your anxiety has just occurred by itself and there has not been any preciptating issue I would think twice before popping anti-anxiety pills. This will throw another variable into the mix. I would definitely see some other doctors and try to get to the bottom of it.

Have you had a bad cold lately or the flu? The other thing I did was get tested for intestinal parasites and bacteria - this can cause anxiety too.

You know your body. If you feel that you have been extremely anxiety ridden and you think that has caused the IBS then go ahead and take the prescription.

You speak of the dizziness though and it sounds like what I dealt with.

Take care and I hope you are feeling better soon.

-ncgirl88

Old 10-06-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

leelee04 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I had a cold but it was two or three months ago. The dizziness I have is from fluid in my ear. That caused me to panic a great deal plus I didnt eat for about a month and a half. I had maybe a granola bar once a day.
leelee

Old 10-06-2004, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi LeeLee,

I got a bit further in understanding my issues and maybe it will help you...I went in and took a breath test at my gastro's office for bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine and I have it. I will keep you posted on how I do through treatment.

I am going to post a new post to the board on this. I hope it helps. Believe me I have had my days of crying in the last 5 months. My problems started out as digestive and then started to affect me neurologically. The stomach and brain are very connected. We actually have more of the very same neurotransmitters in our digestive track as we have in our brains.

Take care and look for my post on the board...

-ncgirl88

Old 10-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi leelee,

It sounds like IBS to me. Anxiety often accompanies IBS and vice-versa. I hope you find something that helps you while you browse the board.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread