It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Lightbulb IBS and Bacterial Overgrowth in the Small Instestine...

Hello All,

Well it has been an interesting four months for me. I got sick back in May and have been feeling horrible ever since. I have had so many doctors appointments. I have been persuing Lyme disease testing and I had a high Epstein Barr titer...but through all this at the center of everything has been the intestinal pain and digestive issues I have been having. I have had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. Everything checks out.

Tonight I came across a very interesting article on a researcher that is studying bacterial presence in the small intestine. Normally there is not a lot of bacteria in the small instestine like there is in the large intestine.

Anyway what stuck out for me was the fact that this researcher, who has also conducted NIH studies, found that 84% of IBS patients when given a breath test that involves swallowing syrup and then taking breath tests over 3 hours all had indication of bacteria in the small intestine.

I am a bit disturbed at this point since I have had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, both expensive tests but never have been offered this breath test.

I also went on antibiotics for a week back in August and that was the first week since May that the stabbing pain in my stomach went away.

I will be calling my gastroentonologists office tomorrow in hopes that they will run this test. Otherwise I will be finding someone else.

Very interesting indeed.

-ncgirl88

Last edited by ncgirl88; 10-01-2004 at 04:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 07:01 PM   #2

Forgiven77 HB User
Re: IBS and Bacterial Overgrowth in the Small Instestine...

Hi ncgirl my names kira you left a post on my thread about this test and im quite interested about it. I too had a scope of both ends and all checked out. This article you found where did you find it and is it possible for me to read b/c who knows i may have bacterial in my small intestine. Umm.... what did the article say about once the bacterial is found- what do they do?? This syrup you are talking about- can people get sick from it b/c im in school now and its hard enough to get through the week. I dont want to get sick and be out for a week or weeks at a time.
Please post info on where i can find this article and learn more about this test-Kira

Old 10-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Hi Forgiven77 and Everyone Else...

I started to post to you yesterday and then our ISP had a problem and it got deleted and then I didn't have time to post until now...sorry about that.

Well - I cannot give your url's due to protecting this sites security. I can tell you about the study though.

I am going to post a new thread on this...I went for the test yesterday and in fact they did find the presence of bacterial overgrowth in my small intestine - so I am hoping treating this will clear up everything else.

All My Best,
ncgirl88

Old 10-11-2004, 02:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Well I had the breath test for overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine last week and as I have thought from the beginning of all of this I have it! So I am going to start treatment with antibiotics and flagyl soon. Some other issues regarding possible thyroid problems has become an issue now too so I have to confer with one of my doctors on Wednesday and decide specifically what I will be taking to treat this.

I would definitely recommend having this test done if you are experiencing IBS. Sorry I do not know what the technical term for this test is. It is painless and just requires you drink some tasteless clear liquid and then sit for a couple hours blowing into a meter every 20 minutes.

Take care all,
ncgirl88

Old 10-12-2004, 03:40 AM   #5

lind01 HB User

Try drinking acidophilus milk and eating yogurt. The friendly bacteria in these products actually kill and replace the offending, bad bacteria. Almost everyone tolerates these two cultured products well because they are so digestible, even for most lactose intolerant folks. On the other hand, antibiotics will kill the friendly bacteria you need for good digestion as well as the bad, and that usually leads to diarrhea. Buy the yogurt that is sweetened only with fruit juice, since bad bacteria especially love to feed on processed sugar, and slice a banana or other sweet fruit into it. Add a handful of natural granola for crunch if you like. I love it! Acidophilus milk doesn't taste any different than "regular" milk. Eat these products every day for good digestive maintenance. Best wishes! lindajo

Old 10-12-2004, 07:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Thanks lidanjo! Yes, I am aware of probiotics. I actually take a powdered probiotic by Metagenics that I have been told is a very good product. I have been taking that - doubling the dosage for a couple months now. So I will continue that therapy. I do eat a lot of unsweetened goats yogurt too. I got away from the traditional yogurts a while back. The only one I will eat is Stonyfield's because it doesn't have all the fillers and stuff but still a lot of sugar if you don't get unflavoured.

Yes, taking antibiotics scare me but as my neurologist told me yesterday when I informed him of the gastro's findings...he said you know this kind of bacteria replicates every four hours and he said once one takes over that invites others to start taking over and before you know it all the bad bacteria is having a war in your intestinal tract.

He gave me a good tip. He said it sounds like the motility of my digestion has been really fast at times. He said to take my glutamine and probiotic with metamucil or another fiber supp (starting with just a little at first like a TBSP.) and mix them all together and take them together - this will slow the probiotic in your system a bit and promote better plantation of the probiotic. This neurologist is a smart guy and understands a lot about the gut since it is really an extension of our brain in so many ways.

Anyway, thanks for the tip - I do appreciate it because antibiotics can create additional problems if you are not careful.

I will keep you all posted on my progress.

ncgirl88

Old 10-21-2004, 06:15 PM   #7

quintanus HB User

You can also do natural antibiotics like eating raw garlic gloves plus cook with lots of chilis on an empty stomach, and see if that has an effect 2-3 days later in terms of bloating/gas.

Old 10-30-2004, 08:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Thanks for the info. quintanus about the garlic...I was doing this before getting the antibiotics.

It turns out I have been diagnosed with Lyme and a tick borne coinfection called Babesioisis - similiar to malaria.

I will begin treatment for it this week.

-ncgirl88

Closed Thread