It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Thumbs up Study on Bacterial Overgrowth of Small Intestine and IBS

Hello All -

Well I wanted to post my experience in hopes that I can help others with IBS. I started having IBS symptoms back in May. These started to bloom into Chronic Fatigue Symptoms. I was having neurological issues too. Anyway there is a lot going on with symptoms and I am being tested for Lyme and other things...but my most prominent symptom through it all has been IBS. Well I was then diagnosed with Epstein Barr Virus...antibodies are present in most everyone's body for this but when our immune systems are brought down for whatever reason EBV can reactivate.

Well, I was reading information regarding Chronic Fatigue when I came across a study by a M.D. who is researching the link between IBS, Chronic Fatigue Symptoms, and overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine. He found in his study that 80% of the group he was studying he found had this overgrowth in their small intestines. He found that 75% of this group improved with antibiotic treatment almost completely from their IBS and chronic fatigue. Our small intestine puts out Segratory IgA I believe it is and when we are stressed or for other reasons this is not always secreted in the amounts necessary to protect the small intestine from bad bacteria. The overgrowth then can create a situation where the bacteria can permeate the intestinal wall and then create a toxic situation in the body...which explains that flu like symptoms and fatigue that are related to chronic fatigue.

Well I scheduled my appointment and saw my gastro this week for the breath test. It is easy but time consuming. You can only have protein for dinner the night before and then nothing in the morning, not even water. You also can't brush your teeth the morning of the test...lovely. You swallow some virtually tasteless solution then breath into a little meter every 20 minutes for two or three hours. Guess What?!?!? I had an overgrowth. So I am hoping that I will start treatment for this soon with antibiotics and flagyl. I don't know what this test is called other than a breath test for detection of bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine.

I was prescribed IBS medicine back two months ago but I refused to take it. I had other indications that this was a bacterial infection but no one took me too seriously. This is really gross but I will share it. In the beginning of this nightmare 5 months ago I had to send stool samples to the lab...well lets just say it was kind of hard not to smell what I was sending samples of and it was a horrid, rotten smell. Well that night when I was flossing my teeth the same smell from between my teeth...that is when I thought bingo! this is a bacterial infection but the first doctor I was seeing made me feel like a nut job. Well it looks like I was right from the beginning.

Due to protecting this site's security I cannot give links or names of the doctor. I would urge everyone with IBS to schedule this test though.

I will keep you posted on my improvement.

All My Best,
ncgirl88

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: Study on Bacterial Overgrowth of Small Intestine and IBS

Hi ncgirl,

There are a lot of sites on the Internet siting bacterial overgrowth as a possible factor in the occurence of IBS. Certain bacteria are found to be in higher concentrations in individuals with IBS. But it is not a proven causal factor in IBS. On the other hand it doesn't hurt to get bacterial overgrowth checked out.

Sometimes people find that the bacterial level goes right back to where it was a couple of months after treatment. But I have yet to hear of anyone who said that treating bacterial overgrowth in the intestines helped them overcome IBS. Its possible that the treatments were so successful that they don't feel the urge to come back here.

Hope that you can bring back some good news after your anti-bacterial overgrowth treatment.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread