It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Coffee/Cafeine and IBS

I've got a question for those of you who have either A: Sworn off coffee and or caffeien because it upsets your GI Tract and makes your ibs worse, or B: are able to drink it b/c it actually helps you or don't worry about it?

Has anyone who does drink coffee notice a diff in your symptoms? Lately i've been having coffee almost daily and my IBS has worsened considereably! But I realized that the meds I take, too, like most meds (I am now on celebrex for some bad tendonitis) and Ibprofen, have caffeiene in it! So how the heck do you avoid caffeine altogether if that IS what's making my IBS so much worse? Or is it possible that it was alchohol that did it? I just started taking the celebrex, and I don't drink hardly at all but had a bit of alchohol for about the last 3 days now, and on top of being on the new meds, drinking coffee and the drinks, I've had bad D-attackes, today and then 2 days ago. Almost at the exact same times of day as well, even though I didn't neccessarily wake up at the same time those days! Odd! Anyway, do most of you totally avoid alchohol and caffeine or what do you do?

Oh and I also find that when I drink water regularly and even for meals instead of soda I am more regular...but I STILL get attacks of D!

Old 10-07-2004, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User
Re: Coffee/Cafeine and IBS

Hi rush_rulz -

I miss the coffee!!!! I have had to cut it out. I cannot tolerate the caffeine in regards to my blood sugar or my digestion at this point. It is just herbal tea for me all the way these days. Also I rarely have soda.

I got tested this morning for fructose (the sugar in soda and many other foods) intolerance. You drink a bunch of sugar water on an empty stomach and then they test your breath to see if you were able to digest it in degrees. Well mine showed that I can't digest it easily.

I thought of this when you posted your issues. You said it hit at the same time a couple days in a row. Keep a food journal for awhile and see what you are eating and the times it seems to be hitting. It could be you have a food sensitivity or like me you are not completely digesting fructose or something else.

I would cut the soda out for awhile - between the carbonation and the fructose it is not good when you are having these issues. The coffee too until you get better. Of course wean yourself off the coffee so you don't go into caffeine shock.

-Hope you feel better soon!

-ncgirl88

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 09:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

Oh one more thing...try not drinking liquids with your meals. This dilutes digestive enzymes and acids and you don't digest stuff as well. I forget what the timing is...something like nothing a half hour before you eat and then no liquids for an hour after....something like that. I have to start being more diligent about that myself.

ncgirl88

Old 10-07-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Wow--No liquids for that long? I don't know if I could do that! lol! But, I think it could have been the alchohol too b/c I am not used to that. Because I have kept food journals for my diet and I don't always get it right after or even the few days after ingestion of coffee or sodas. But, I think I may just try keeping a journal logging jUST my pain symptoms to see how that goes. I may have food allergies too and not know it, too right? Anyway, thanks for your help & suggestions!

Old 10-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ncgirl88 HB User

It definitely could be food sensitivities...I think that is what mine has turned into. I am so frustrated because I can tell my immune system is going nuts but they can't figure out why and they have done tons of tests.

I have moved recently so then I wonder if it is environmental or something new I am eating or drinking. I have spent so much money trying to figure things out including a panel of every well water test known to man.

Take care,
ncgirl88

Old 10-08-2004, 07:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

ncgirl: I think I know what you mean...I can wake up in the mornings and just drink WATER doesn't matter if it's hot cold lukewarm and then I am going and going all day. I have not even eaten breakfast yet and it's 10:00 and I'm afraid to even eat a cereal bar!

But I have not had many tests done at all really!

Old 10-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #7

rosered2004 HB User

hi i have ibs and i am a junkie on stimulants...all caffeine nicotine you name it i've done it for most of my adult life and continuing...i cannot drink water even with anything added ...i do not exercise and suffer with ibs...i still have to have my full pot of non deca f coffee each day ...lol

Last edited by rosered2004; 10-08-2004 at 08:12 AM.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Oh my Gosh this is just soo awful I feel like I am going to DIE. Ok, I haven't had any caffeine in like 24 hrs now and guess what all i've eaten so far today (It is only 1:15 inthe afternoon here)....water water and 1 tiny cereal bar plus not even a whole Smart One's dinner/entree. Well I have been in SO much pain all darn day--and it is mostly in my STOMACH this time not my colon even though I had D this morning--well not D but loose stools. I am wondering if it could be the celebrex I am on?? B/c Aspirin makes me nauseous and I read somewhere that aspirin sensitives shouldn't take celebrex...and even though my dr knows I put I am allergic to aspirin he made me take this!!! This expensicve PILL!. Anyway sorry for my rant but do you think it is possible I've got a DIGESTIVE disoder and not IBS b/c I feel crummy at the same time every day these days and, it is either in the form of nausea--D or both!!!

Closed Thread