It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2004, 03:59 PM   #1
(female)

imaworrier HB User
Four year old with stomach and stool problems

Hi, I posted this under Bowel Disorders also, so sorry if you've already seen it.

For two years my daughter has complained of frequent stomach aches. We went to the doctors office and she did a stool sample test and tested her for food allergies, everything came up normal.

I tried switching to lactose free milk for several months at a time, it never seemed to help.
Sometimes her stool is really loose, other times it's very green. Lately it seems short of wide and flat, I guess they call that ribbon like. There is never visible blood in it.
Sometimes she complains her stomach hurts, "At the bottom". If she drinks juice, she gets diarrhea. Her stomach aches are never bad enough to make her stop playing or bend over in pain.
I talked to her doctor about it again recently and she said it's probably IBS. But from what I've been reading lately, IBS should only be diagnosed after everything else is ruled out.

Can anyone give me ideas of what type of tests they should be doing on her and if they've ever heard of a child having IBS?

Thanks.

Closed Thread