It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Michelle W HB User
Medication for IBS with constipation?

I had a colonoscopy yesterday and it came back okay. I have been suffering from hemorrhoids and constipation. That is the reason why I had the test. Lately, I have also being having diarrhea. I think I have IBS with constipation. Is there any type of medication for this problem. Also, I am a stay at home mom. How do you guys work with IBS?

Old 10-27-2004, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Re: Medication for IBS with constipation?

Some of us don't work. I couldn't, so I applied for and am receiving Social Security disability. I do have a couple other problem too, but there's no way I could work some days. I spend half of the day in the bathroom. I also have chronic pain with mine, so I take some heavy duty pain medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #3

MagicWings HB User
Question Re: Medication for IBS with constipation?

Director if you don't mind sharing, what does your pain feel like? I have another 2 other problems that cause pain, and I have been trying to narrow down what is the cause of my pain. The pain I feel is the worst pain I have ever felt. I never even new I could have pain as bad as I get some times.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:32 AM   #4
(female)

aaronon HB User

Michelle,

There is a medication for IBS-C. It's called Zelnorm. Ask your doctor about it. I do work everyday, and I have IBS-C. The pain is the most incredible I've been through, I do believe. Some mornings I have to be late for work just from the pain. It's not easy, but, we all have something we don't like to do.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hi MagicWings,
You asked about my pain. I have a dull aching and burning sensation in the lower left quadrant. Sometimes there is a real sharp, stabbing like pain that slowly goes away. That is my IBS pain. I also have pain from surgery on my left lung. That pain runs runs around from the from the front to the back where my incesion is. It's about 10 inches long and because they had to cut across so many nerves to go into the lung, I have neuralgea that will most likely never go away.

As far as work goes, I just couldn't continue in the condition I was in. I went on Social Security Disability. My work required me to be there and I just couldn't leave at any time when I needed to go to the bathroom. Because of that, I decided the best thing to do was to go on disability.

I hope that answers some of your questions MagicWings. If you have others, just let me know.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:54 PM   #6
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi Michelle W,

Here is a visual technique I use to help me reduce constipation and diarrhea:

Imagine a shiny metallic wood screw (wood screws have a sharp tip so the screw can penetrate the wood without a hole). Now at the edge where the right side of your head meets the top edge imagine the screw entering the middle of the edge. Also imagine a screw entering the middle of the right side of your head simultaneously. Both screws should be turning as you would normally turn a screw with a bit of difficulty entering. The screws should be imagined to be at different levels of penetration. Make sure you can clearly see the thread on the screw and change the thread width of the top right edge screw up and down while you are screwing the screw in.

This should help somewhat with the diarrhea and constipation - although another technique that people use to reduce constipation is to drink prune juice. I normally post another technique to reduce constipation - but in your case, since you have diarrhea - it has the potential of worsening your diarrhea if you use it at the wrong time - so I will skip that method.

I hope this helps you some.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 10-29-2004, 09:26 PM   #7

MagicWings HB User
Arrow Re: Medication for IBS with constipation?

Director thank you for sharing what your symptoms are like. I know what it is like to have to use the BR all the time. I feel like I live in the BR. I have often thought of trying to go on disability but I wouldnt know where to start. You are not alone, because I know what it is like to suffer pain. I know what you are going threw.
MagicWings

Closed Thread