It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
(female)

dinobites HB User
Stringy BM?

For years I've been convinced that I have an intestinal parasite. I have frequent loose stools with cramping. Sometimes after having these loose stools, I still have to make a BM, but it seems that my body has nothing left to come out except for a stringy substance. Sometimes it actually looks like what I'd think a tape worm would look like. Sometimes I have clear mucous.

The DR tested my stool and blood, and everything was completely normal. I was told I have IBS. I do have some of the symptoms. People in my family have IBS, and I've had alot of stress in my life in the past, which seems to go along with IBS. I'm just wondering if the stringy stool is normal with IBS, or if I should get a 2nd opinion.

Old 11-10-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: Stringy BM?

By stringy... I assume you mean kinda narrow, more like a wormy lookin thing... It can be normal to experience this sometimes..

Stools that are really narrow can be a sign of an obstruction somewhere... This is usually where the colonoscopy rules that kind of problem out...

But if its more along the lines of stringy mucous, that's normal.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 PM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: Stringy BM?

Hi dinobites,

I've had stringy stools - It can mean an obstruction is present although I doubt it. I've had occasions where i've had the stringy stools - and when I apply my visualisation techniques to reduce my IBS - the stringy stools dissappear - I think that while it is possible to have an obstruction in the intestines, that it is more likely that your intestines are squeezing inappropriately causing stringy stools (in appearance). IBS affects peristalsis and so the size and shape of stools can easily change.

I am not personally concerned with the occurence of stringy stools - It may be an issue that others may want to consider, in case they feel there is something more to it than my explanation. It is on the other hand not unusual for an IBS sufferer to have different size shapes, textures, colors and forms of stools.

Cheers, Raju.

Closed Thread