It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Lightbulb Immodium how many is too much ?

What is the maximun # of immodium you tried for your IBS(D)?The amount on the box is rediculessly low and so will not help me in the least!I've used 11 and still had cramps . I only use it if i have a long drive ahead of me (and i do in a few weeks )........i'm thinking of asking my doctor doe some dizapan to knock me out or taking a sleeping pill but then a whole day is wasted !Taking Caltrate sometimes helps me too but it's been rather bad lately!!### 's please of how many Immodium i cane have in one sitting!!thank you!!

Old 12-02-2004, 02:52 PM   #2

healinggarden HB User
Re: Immodium how many is too much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1961
What is the maximun # of immodium you tried for your IBS(D)?The amount on the box is rediculessly low and so will not help me in the least!I've used 11 and still had cramps . I only use it if i have a long drive ahead of me (and i do in a few weeks )........i'm thinking of asking my doctor doe some dizapan to knock me out or taking a sleeping pill but then a whole day is wasted !Taking Caltrate sometimes helps me too but it's been rather bad lately!!### 's please of how many Immodium i cane have in one sitting!!thank you!!
I take two when I travel (nothing says comfort like diarehha in an airplane bathroom overseas ), and that seems to do the trick.

I might get a prescription from your doctor, he knows what won't be bad in the long run for your intestines. I wouldn't go above the recommended number on the box, because you just might have to take exlax to be able to go to the bathroom again. Immodium is good, but that stuff can really mess up the intestinal cycle.

Skip coffee or caffine, and any acidic/spicy foods. That might help your diarehha not be too bad. I used to take Psyllium seed tablets, the fiber binded me up for a day and I didn't need any Immodium. The tablets are at any health food store, or at Eckards probably

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Two......hmm mabye two boxes would work!!For me that is.......... lucky ! I do avoid caffine and spicy foods though and it definatly helps .....thanks for the reply !

Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 AM   #4

healinggarden HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1961
Two......hmm mabye two boxes would work!!For me that is.......... lucky ! I do avoid caffine and spicy foods though and it definatly helps .....thanks for the reply !
lol My sister hold the world record for Immodium. She can take 4 and still go to the bathroom for an hour. Long car trips with her growing up, we visited practially every rest stop along the road Me too, nothing spicy or acidic for me if I want not to be looking for the free bathrooms where I live. (They make you pay here, a death sentence to anyone with IBS)

Kat

Old 12-05-2004, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I can take 11 and still keep running to it(the toilet) !That's why i'm wondering how many i can take (saftly)for my upcoming road trip ...........

Old 12-06-2004, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User

Good question. If you can take 11 and still not have relief, you should talk to your doctor. He/she may have something stronger. For road trips, 2 used to help me but now I am up to 3 or 4. Let us know what you find out. Ten years ago, I used to take Peragoric ( not sure about the spelling) but that can knock you out which is not good if you are driving.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Yeah there is prescription strength Imodium available.. also there are anti-spasmadic medicines available.. like donnatal, bentyl, etc...

there is also another one called librax that combines librium(anti-anxiety) w/ an anti-spasmadic.... its great for the stress that goes along w/ the d... it helps both.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #8
(female)

tommygirly HB User

Hmmm, I have taken more than the regualr dose of immodium several times. And unfortunately for me it's on a regular basis that I have to take it. I have social anxiety disorder as well as IBS, and so just to leave my house I take several (4-6) a day and and still have loose BMs the next day, therefore starting the cycle over and over again. My body is going to hate me and I shudder to think about what problems that this viscious cycle will cause.

Closed Thread