It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

leelee04 HB User
Question Flax seed

I'm thinking about taking flax seed for my IBS-C. Has anyone here taken flax seed? I would love to here your storys and tips. Thanks
leelee

Old 02-24-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
(female)

undercoat HB User
Re: Flax seed

Hi

I tried Flax Seed (golden linseed) and it made me very very "loose" to the point where I had to run to the bathroom. My husband, on the other hand, who doesn't have IBS found that it just loosened him up a bit. I have stopped using it, but why not give it a try, as it does no harm and it's quite nice to eat. Bake it in a loaf, it give it a lovely texture particularly with sunflower seeds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
(female)

Saybrook HB User
Re: Flax seed

Hi there. I too have tried flax seed. I've bought bread that has it as one of it's main ingredients. I usually toast it. I think it's great. Also, if you buy it in bulk, do some research because if it isn't "cracked" I've heard that you don't gain any benefits from it. Unfortunately, however, since I suffer from constipation on a regular basis, I haven't seen any relief from eating it. Give it a try, I like it.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Flax seed

Hi

I absolutely love flax seed. I put it in my Vita-mix shake, sprinkle it on oatmeal and yogurt, mix it into recipes. It contains a fair amount of fiber (not a ton like people think) and is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids (that your body can't produce on it's own.)

Also, it relieves both constipation AND diarrhea, because it simply makes a person regular. However all people are different, and what works wonders for someone else may not have such a positive effect on you.

And yes, if the flax seed is not ground, it will pass through your body totally unaffected, giving you no benefits whatsoever.

Good luck!

Closed Thread