It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
intestinal cramps

does anyone else get like horrible cramps in their intestines.. below the waistline? because i do.. i usually get them when im going to have to be up all night going to the bathroom... and they are pretty intense sometimes....

Old 03-05-2005, 07:54 AM   #2
(female)

Kootie Pie HB User
Re: intestinal cramps

i have this problem everyday. I'm still trying to figure out what it is. The pain is more extreme on my left side and then goes into the middle.
Any idea what it is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User

I recently started getting the intense cramping again (have had IBS-D for the past 10 years). Cramps are so bad that I have do my lamaze breathing to get thru them. At times I have thought I would pass out from the pain. My doctor prescribed donnatal for them. I take 1 or 2 tablets when I feel the spasms/cramping starting. So far, it has helped a bit.

seabell

Old 03-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

I definitely agree with you as far the pain goes w/ the cramping... it is so bad for me sometimes i have to bend over at my waist and just breathe.... the weird thing is.. these intense cramps happen when i know im going to have a bad night w/ d... and they'll be like 10 minute periods of intense cramping... as if my intestines are pushing the waste further down, and then back up... and it will keep doing this until i can have a bowel movement.. i usually have to go through about 30 minutes of intense cramping before i can go... then i'll only be able to go a little bit. then i will go through some more cramping, until a ton comes out.. its really weird...

but i guess those are the intestinal spasms/cramps that push the waste out, but also it goes back... it can't make up its mind... i guess IBS sufferers intestines are hypersensitive, and go through the motions normal intestines do more often, and more intensely.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User

Do you notice that you get more cramps at night then during the day? I occasionally will have them during the day, but mostly at night. The cramps even wake me up from a sound sleep. Like you, I curl up, whether in the bathroom or in bed, bring my knees to my chin, and just try to breathe. The cramps last maybe 20 minutes, then I have some sort of bm, maybe 5-10 minutes relief, then the cramps start all over again. By this time, my stomach is making a racket. This will happen 3-4 times, til my bowels empty themselves with explosive diarrhea.

If I start the donnatal before the cramps start (you know how you can just tell you're going to have a bad night??) I can reduce the severity of the cramps.

SB

Old 03-05-2005, 11:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Yes, definitely more cramps during the night than day... It sounds like you go through something very very similar to me, if not the same kind of pain! It's horrible... Yeah, I haven't ever tried taking donnatal right when I realize it's going to be a bad night. I think I might try that.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
(female)

Kootie Pie HB User

My cramps are during the day. I'm fine at night, I sleep right through the night. Now I've been off my birth control pills for about 3 months and since then I haven't gone to the bathroom half as much. I probably go once a day now compared to 6 or 7. The cramps in my stomach and the pain and swelling on my side however, is still there. I also sometimes have to keel over because the pain is so bad, especially while going to the bathroom. It's usually worse the week i have my period, and sometimes it's so bad that it makes me sick. - throw up.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #8
(female)

Georgette HB User

Everything that I read about IBS says that symptoms don't usually wake you from a sound sleep. About once every few months I will go through a period where I will wake up at about 3AM, and within five minutes I will have to go to the bathroom, usually diarrhea. This will go on for about two weeks. I am usually a sound sleeper, not even waking once during the night. When I have told this to doctors, they don't seem too concerned.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

Yes, I have had those cramps too. It feels like I have to go, but when I try, NOTHING!

The cramps are quite painful and as soon as I have a b/m, it helps, but when I am having an IBS episode, they keep on until the episode subsides.

I have recurring IBS episodes, and I noticed since I started taking calcium carbonate instead of calcium citrate, it has helped tons!

Closed Thread