It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 05:07 AM   #1
(female)

seabell HB Userseabell HB Userseabell HB User
Metamucil, Citrucel, Fibercon????

Powder, pills, crackers...

Which type of fiber therapy has worked for you, and for what type of IBS (D or C)?

I've only tried the powder form of metamucil and I hated it so I'm afraid to try other types. Besides making me extremely gassy and bloated, it didn't do a thing for my "D", except increase the amount and made the consistency more "sandy".

SB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

Georgette HB User
Re: Metamucil, Citrucel, Fibercon????

I have had IBS-D symptoms for over three years. The way it usually works is I will be okay for a couple of weeks and then really bad for two or three weeks. I tried the Metamucil fibre wafers a while ago and they did nothing for me. Then about two months ago I started taking one heaping teaspoon of Metamucil smooth texture every morning. After a couple of weeks I did notice a slight improvement, but since I had just gone through about three weeks of really bad symptoms, I didn’t know if it was just coincidence. I kept with it, and can honestly say I have improved significantly. I still get pain, some soft stools and urgency to “go”, but I haven’t had true diarrhea since I started taking it. Also, it hasn’t seemed to make me more gassy.

You are right, the powder isn’t very pleasant, but I’m used to it now. For me it’s worth getting through the grossness in exchange for relief of symptoms. How much were you taking? Maybe the key is to start off slow. I only take one teaspoon, not a tablespoon like the container says. Also, give it time. And I know what you mean by a sandy consistency. In the beginning I could certainly tell that it was the Metamucil that was bulking it up!

Everyone is different, but this is what has worked for me. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

princesspea HB User
Re: Metamucil, Citrucel, Fibercon????

Hi SB,

Just dropping in to give my 2 cents worth. I am a C so take this advice with that in mind.

I prefer Citrucel to Metamucil I don't get the gas side effect and the powder is smoother when mixed up...just my experience.

I had a few weeks of bad D the last couple of weeks. The first thing I did was stop the citrucel. It continued to the point of dehydration and IV's. We couldn't get it stopped until I went back on the Citrucel. It just slowed it down until I got it up to a good dose for me. So maybe you aren't taking enough yet to get results for you. Just a thought.

Start out slowly and work your way up to your theraputic dose. (The recommended dose for IBS C or D is 10-12 grams of fiber from a suppliment) We are all so different it's hard to even suggest how much that would be. Start with a teaspoon and work you way up might be a good way to do it. It's what I did.

I hope this helps in some small way.

Love,

Jamie

Last edited by princesspea; 03-14-2005 at 05:11 PM.

Closed Thread