It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

dismoi HB User
can IBS cause oral health problems?

Hi everyone, i'm new and i'm really excited about this forum. Its so hard to get answers about detailed health issues,so i'm thinking it might be easier to talk to people that may have experienced it than certain doc.'s that give u the run-around.
So, I've had IBS for about a year, which was probably caused by bad eating habits and stress, both of which started in college(just say no to cafeteria food). Since it is a digestive problem, I was wandering if waste gets backed up in the colon, and could it possibly cause bad dreath. If so, would a colonic and diet change help?
I would appreciate any feedback about this,thanks!

Old 04-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
Re: can IBS cause oral health problems?

This is just a way out there thought bare with me.
IBS has been said to be caused by or aggravited by an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the intestines.

Since oral problems are pretty muched caused by bacteria in the mouth, doesn't it seem possible that the bacteria could overgrow in other parts of the body, not just the intestines?

I wonder if taking acidophilous would help oral health like it has for many people's intestinal health?

Interesting,
Nodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #3
(female)

dismoi HB User

Thanks Nodi, It kinda makes since. I used to take acidophilus evereyday when the IBS was really bad. Once it got better, I stopped my daily routine of pills( b-complex, l-glutamine,acidophilus,etc). it could definitely be a factor. thanks for the feedback

Old 04-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi dismoi,

I personally feel that oral health problems can be associated with IBS - the same triggers that cause IBS can cause problematic oral health. However, I do not feel that oral health problems are a possible source of IBS.

Much like everything else though, I feel that taking care of your mouth and the rest of your body in general tends to help you fight back - even though it is not a guarantee, nor can an increase/reduction in symptoms be easily attributable to changes in diet or healthy behaviours - since diet/healthy behaviours or lack thereof do not cause IBS.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 04-14-2005, 01:59 AM   #5

scarlett_ HB User

I agree with the just saying no to college food comment you made! Currently in my last two weeks at college (ahhhhh it feels good!) I would rather starve than eat any of the crap they offer - whether it's food from the deli in shop or from any of the canteens! Just last week I had a roll with chicken and coleslaw and my stomach was in bits afterwards!

Closed Thread