It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 06:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
IBS Friendly Diet Suggestions

Heres a sample of what you might want to look into if you want to make changes to your diet to help with the IBS.

Breakfast:
Oatmeal, plain... with water or soy milk. brown sugar to flavor

Lunch: Lean Turkey Lunch Meat wrapped in high fiber tortilla

Dinner: Grilled Chicken Topped with a small amount of BBQ sauce or if you don't seem to have an intolerance, a small amount of spaghetti sauce and possibly some sprinkled parmesan cheese to flavor... an easy chicken parmesan recipe.
Grilled Skinless Fish... it's got the healthy fatty omegas, and seems to be IBS friendly...
Snacks: Applesauce, Rice Cakes(you can even get the flavored ones, shouldn't make too much of a difference), Bananas... or your choice of vegetables that don't bother your system.

Other food: Tuna, low fat high protein. Cottage Cheese. Yogurt(with active cultures).

Vitamins... a liquid multi-vitamin, and Caltrate+D(if you suffer from the D side of IBS)

These are just a list of suggestions that when I eat STRICLY these foods, I would say I'm 95% w/ little to no episodes... As we all know it is rather hard to stick to this type of diet, because we all get those cravings.... My suggestion is if you are going to give in to those cravings, make sure it's a night that you know you'll be able to spend the next day in the restroom if needed, that's the only way I'll give in! Pizza is my favorite food in the world, and I don't really think I've sat down and eaten a piece since I was 16 years old. I'm 21 now. Oh to go back to the days when fast food, pizza, and Jamocha Shakes from Arby's didn't cause me problems!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
(male)

tennispro78 HB User
Re: IBS Friendly Diet Suggestions

I dont get it, why in a few years your system changes and now you cant eat any of the foods that you are used to eating. I mean you are only 21 and you body cant handle pizza anymore? Do explain

Old 04-01-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi BB25,

I guess you forgot to mention what kind of IBS you have. I believe the diet would be different generally depending on whether you have IBS-C variety or D variety - and of course this will vary from person to person due to possible food allergies.

As for myself - I don't have a diet to follow - just some improvements in visual techniques every once in a while. I do however, avoid melons and apples.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #4

FireWoman HB User

Hey TennisPro,

It is strange how your body can change overnight. My IBS began just after the birth of my baby. All of a sudden (like, the next day), I began having sever stomach cramps and diarrhea. My Gi doc said that basically, there was a dramatic shift in my hormones and hormones control the functions and motility of your GI tract. Because of this, I developed IBS overnight. The day before I had my baby, I was eating donuts, ice cram, pizza and mexican food. Now all I can eat are chicken, fish, vegetables (well cooked) and peanut butter. It stinks, but you do what you have to do to feel healthy and free of pain and diarrhea. The body is so complex that it is hard to pinpoint the "why" behind its madness, unfortunately. Just the slightest shift is hormones or passage of neurotransmitters, etc... can throw your body into a tailspin from which you may never recover.

Hope that answered your question

Dana

Old 04-01-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
(male)

tennispro78 HB User

Thanks Dana

Old 04-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Thanks for the reminder cinnamongirl.. you've always been one of my favorite posters on the site...

Where do you find the organic chocolate bars... at a healthfood store, or online?

wish me luck, im starting a new job sometime this week, and we all know the stresses of the bathroom issues at new places... what if they won't let me go... will i have time to go?? oh well, i'll be fine!

thanks for the support! and hope this finds you well!

Old 04-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletinboard25
Where do you find the organic chocolate bars... at a healthfood store, or online?
Hi.

I used to buy my bars only at my health food store. Now, however, I can also get them at the regular grocery stores, since more of them are carrying healthier alternatives. It's wonderful!

Good luck with your new job. I know, the restroom just becomes the focal point of everything you do and everywhere you go. But you'll be fine. !

Closed Thread