It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User
Any connection with IBS/Inflamed Bowel and Gyno Problems?

Hi
I have been having abdominal problems for about 11 months. I have had severe gyno problems during this 11 months with possibly bowel problems.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy about 2 weeks ago and my gyno doc said that my bowels were inflamed.

My gyno problems were:
Adenomyosis
Adhesions
Severe Pelvic Congestion
Chronic Ovarian Cysts
Some Endometriosis
I did ask if I had Endo on my bowels and he said no.
I tend to have constapation problems. I do go every day but I can sometimes have problems.
I was getting severe lower left abdominal pain and severe cramping, but that has stopped since they hyst.
I do still feel like a dull ache sometimes in my left bowel. Like I said I still strugle sometimes to move my bowels. But I am alot better then what I was before surgery.
I have had the folowing tests:
Blood work-normal
Colonoscopy- 2 small polyps were found, not cancerous-normal
Upper GI with Lower Bowel-Normal
After I had the Upper GI, I had some gyno tests and ended up with they hysterectomy.

Question, Wouldn't they of found that my bowels were inflamed with a colonoscopy??
I am planning on seeing my GI doc again once I recover from the hyst.
I was wondering if any women out there had similar Gyno problems that seemed to be affiliated with the gastro problems. Could my gyno problems of caused my bowel problems?? They both seemed to of started at the same time.
I would appriciate any imput.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
(female)

bird2 HB User
Re: Any connection with IBS/Inflamed Bowel and Gyno Problems?

At last... someone has made a connection. I am a 59 year old woman in general good health. I have been plagued with IBS since before my hyst at age 34. (One ovary left.) In fact, the IBS was one reason for the hyst. The Gyne mentioned I had endometriosis in my colon that when I ovulated it caused the IBS to flare up. How here's the strange part. As I said... I'm 59. Menopause should be over. Yet, around the same time each month I have all the symptoms of PMS (breasts swelling and tender) fatique, sometimes I even get the backache. This is the same time I experience IBS, just like before the hyst. My stomach bloats and becomes rigid. You would think, by the way I look, I was six months pregnant. I am a profession woman and unable to fit into my clothes. The pain is almost unbearable. My bowels and urinary track almost shut down. I become very mentally irritable as well. I'm looking for anyone who is having or has had similar symptoms. I notice the hot flashes I've been having for at least 12 years have a pattern related to the timing of these events. They seem to lighten up while going thru this period. Then once it passes (about 1 1/2 to 2 wks.) The hot flashes begin again, but at least I look and feel much better. I have taken bentyl and levbid. Both give some relief, but not enough. Is there a connection?? I think so. Now what can be done?

Old 05-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi Bird and Autum..

I do agree a connection with IBS and Gyno problems.
WOW bird you have been through alot!! As to what do we do next...I don't know...I wish there was an answer !! I am taking the Bentyl regularly, but I did forget a dose today and I felt it !! I have never had problems with my bowels until I had these bad gyno problems, except I have always dealt with diahreah during my period since I caN REMEMBER.

Autum, you should mention this to your gyno..if you do have Endo, waiting to try to treat it is just going to make it worse !! Are you on the Pill??

There has to be a better way with this darn IBS !!!!!!

Old 05-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

bird2 HB User

Thanks DJL for your input. Yes, I've been through many years of discomfort and pain with this malady. I, like most other postings I have read, have taken Zelnorm, bentyl, and levbid. Got some relief but still would like more. I found it interesting that Zelnorm, once advertized to the female for bloating, is now marketed to men as well. Hmmmm. I have chosen to seach for another Gyne hoping to find one with an open mind. Going through monthly symptoms relating to the female cycle at age 59 is not an easy sell. Fortunately, I'm in a large city with many to choose from.

bird2

Old 07-27-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Angela22F HB User

Wow, I have read that IBS is worse for most women around the same time as their period, and that is "normal" ( normal? what is normal for IBS sufferers? ).
My IBS and my gyno problems all happened around the same time. It started with a C-section 5 years ago, and has ran a mountain ever since. To make it all short, I was seeing a gyno for years, til it got to the point where I was like ok, you can't cut and prode me anymore, I've had enough. ( I had sveral minor surgeries to cleanse the uterus and many many biopsies done on polyps-cervix ). As for my bowel problems, I have been suffering from severe IBS symptoms ( extreme pain/cramping, nausea, vomitting, bloating to the point where I looked 6mths preganant and thought I was gonig to explode, etc. ) ever since the day of the C-section, and only in the past year have i actually went and had it treated. The doctor now has me on Dicetel and I'm on a diet ( trying to cut out trigger foods- dairy, caffeine, greasy/fatty foods, etc. - and eatting very small meals.

Anywayz, to clue up, you're not alone, I think alot of women get gyno and bowel problems hand in hand. I just wish someone knew the connections cause.

Closed Thread