It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #1
(female)

NancyGF HB User
IBS and fiber question

Hi, I have IBS where I have to go alot usually after a meal and get cramps and gas. It comes on from stress. I hear to add fiber then not to add fiber. Which is it? For constipation I understand adding fiber but I don't get that.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #2
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User
Re: IBS and fiber question

Its simple. And increase in fiber will help you have a BM more often. Some suggest that taking a fiber supplement will help you have a, how should I say this: a more effective BM. Fibercon is a popular fiber supplement. You may want to consider taking it if you are constipated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Adding any fibre supplement should be started out very slowly or you could have more gas, and cramping until your bowel adjusts. You should also drink more water to avoid constipation. Anyone with a bowel obstruction/ and or an inflammatory bowel condition should be very cautious, and first speak to their doctor before adding extra fiber to the diet. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Contrary to what a poster above said, you can take fiber supplements to help alleviate diarrhea as well.

You don't have to be constipated to take laxatives.

The term "natural laxative" is really not a good way to describe fiber.

It will help bulk up the stools and absorb water making your stools easier to pass.

It does help w/ constipation, as well as diarrhea.

Soluble fiber is the way to go when it comes to IBS'ers.

Although, some people with IBS don't respond well to fiber at all.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
(female)

IBSForever? HB User

Yes, it is important to add fiber-but it is insoluble fiber that will help your D. Soluble fiber can be gotten from fiber supplements, oatmeal, TVP, etc. And remember to increase your dosage slowly!

Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

completely disagree... insoluble fiber is what you want to stay away from as an IBS'er

soluble fiber is whats going to help the d

insoluble fiber has more of a potential to make it worse.

SOLUBLE fiber dissolves in water... it will help to alleviate diarrhea because it absorbs excess water in the colon creating a gel like substance, which bulks up stools.

Last edited by bulletinboard25; 08-15-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

I believe that both soluble and insoluble fibre will help in the case of constipation and diarrhea. While insoluble fibres can also help by forming a framework for stool consistency, soluble fibres may be more effective.

As bulletin boards has mentioned, soluble fibres have the additional advantage of absorbing water and reducing the water content in a "D" situation. It also helps in a constipation situation by acting somewhat like a cushion and allowing the food to form properly further helps shape the stool properly.

Insoluble fibre, however, has the disadvantage of often causing pain to those who suffer from IBS. It is because they do not dissolve in water and tend to act like sand paper. In a normal tummy such activity is usually ok - but in an IBS sensitized tummy - it can cause pain.

Hence the popular use of soluble fibres for people who suffer from IBS.

Cheers, - Raju -

Last edited by 6th_sense; 08-15-2005 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Corrected insoluble to soluble - thanks for noticing BB.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_sense
I but in an IBS sensitized tummy - it can cause pain.

Hence the popular use of insoluble fibres for people who suffer from IBS.

Cheers, - Raju -

I believe you meant the popular use of soluble fibers... since you said insoluble fiber has been shown to cause pain in IBS'ers... i'll let it slide

Old 08-15-2005, 06:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

Is metamucil soluble? I have crohn's and have taken it before. At one point, I ended up in ER because it got impacted in my intestine. Since then, I'm afraid to take it, although I sure need something to lessen the diarrhea. Last year, I tried about a 1/4 dose and ended up with more irritation and more diarrhea. Any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi dorri,

While metamucil is soluble, it is not always usable by all. I've heard of other brands that Harry used to talk about - I rarely see him around here any more. In one of his posts he talks about an alternative to metamucil.

Wonder if it could be found using the search function? Dunno.

Cheers, - Raju -

Closed Thread